Kano children kidnapper sentenced to 104 years’ imprisonment
A Kano High Court, on Friday, sentenced Paul Owne to 104 years’ imprisonment for masterminding the kidnap of nine children in the state.
Justice Zuwaira Yusuf, who found the convict guilty of all the 38-count charges, sentenced him without an option of fine.
The convict had pleaded guilty to the charges and was convicted accordingly.
Six other defendants, who were arraigned alongside Mr Owne, however, pleaded not guilty to the charges.
“I find Owne guilty on counts two, eight, nine, 27 and 34. I hereby sentence him to seven years imprisonment on each of the counts without an option of fine, in addition to paying the sum of N100,000 fine.
“The court also found Owne guilty on counts three, five, 10, 11, 22, 28 and 38. I sentence him to seven years in a correctional centre on each of the counts,” Ms Yusuf ruled.
The judge held that the convict was found guilty on counts four, 12, 13, 29 and 38, and sentenced him to four years in a correctional centre on each of the counts without an option of fine.
She, however, said that all the counts must run concurrently and ordered the remand of the six other defendants in a correctional centre for continuation of trial.
Mr Owne and six others were first arraigned on November 13, 2020 for the kidnapping of nine children, who were trafficked from Kano to Anambra.
The other defendants are: Mercy Paul, Ebere Ogbono, Emmanuel Igwe, Loise Duru , Monica Oracha and Chinelo Ifedegwu.
Earlier, the Prosecution Counsel, Mahmoud Balarabe, told the court that the defendants were facing a 38-count charge, bordering on conspiracy, kidnapping and trafficking in children from Kano to Anambra, sometime in 2019.
According to him, the offences contravene the provisions of Sections 97(1), 273, 277 of the Penal Code and Section 32 (5) of the Children and Young Persons Law of Kano State, 2012.
While the convict pleaded guilty to all the 38-count charge, the remaining six defendants, however, pleaded not guilty, thus setting stage for their trial.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette
The debt has now risen to N80 billion from N42 billion earlier this year, said ALTON president Gbenga Adebayo.
He said that as the president, he has always reiterated his commitment to a peaceful, credible and transparent election.
“I have done my flag off with my 28 children and four wives, who will vote for Tinubu and every other candidate of the APC.”
Mr Osinbajo said that the federal government’s Social Investment Programmes and other welfare programmes were meant to address societal gaps.
Airport Project: Ekiti farmers block highway over govt’s failure to compensate for destroyed farmlands
The farmers wielded sticks and iron bars and set up bonfires on the road to make it impassable.
Mr Adeleke’s victory is still being challenged by the APC candidate and Osun State governor Gboyega Oyetola at the Governorship Election Tribunal.