Kennedy Centre board backs Trump’s plan to close for two-year renovation

Kennedy Centre board of trustees, on Monday, voted to shut its building which hosts the United States’ national cultural arts institution.
According to a release by the performing arts centre on Monday, the board voted unanimously to “temporarily close the Center for a comprehensive revitalisation project.”
The board of trustees said the centre, which is to undergo a renovation, would be shut for a period of two years.
It added that the decision will “allow for the most comprehensive and efficient renovation effort, setting the stage for a revitalised national cultural and entertainment complex for all Americans to enjoy.”
The board said the centre would formally close after a July 4 celebration and would reopen in a grand manner when the renovation is completed.
Earlier in February, President Donald Trump announced that the centre will undergo a sweeping renovation and a multi-year closure.
“The Trump Kennedy Centre will close on July 4th, 2026, in honour of the 250th Anniversary of our Country, whereupon we will simultaneously begin construction of the new and spectacular Entertainment Complex,” Mr Trump posted.
“We’re going to ensure it remains the finest performing arts facility of its kind anywhere in the world,” he said.
The president noted that keeping the centre open during the renovation period would “cost far more, take much longer, and produce a far inferior result.”
Last December, the Kennedy Centre board voted to rename the centre after Mr Trump.
The decision raised public concern, being the first time a national institution would be named after a sitting U.S. president.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Economy
Seplat-NNPC empowers 127 teachers in Imo
The beneficiaries received training through the Seplat Teachers Empowerment Programme, with the first Imo cohort graduating in Owerri.

Anti-Corruption
Osun Account Freeze: Gov Adeleke withdraws suit against EFCC after Tinubu’s intervention
“I have instructed my attorney general to drop it (lawsuit against EFCC). Mr President has done well. He called me. What more do I want? He has waded in,” Mr Adeleke said.

Showbiz
Kamsy emerges third housemate evicted from BBNaija Season 11
Her departure came as a fresh reminder that popularity inside the house does not necessarily translate into enough public votes.

Sport
Cameroon beat Malawi 3-0 to win first WAFCON title
Cameroon thus became the fourth nation to win the WAFCON, joining record champions Nigeria, Equatorial Guinea and South Africa.








