Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Lagos probes collapse of three-storey shopping complex

Ms Gbaye reaffirmed the agency’s commitment to promoting safe building practices.

• June 27, 2026
Collapsed shopping complex in Alakija Lagos(Photo Credit:Punch NG)

The Lagos State Building Control Agency (LASBCA) has begun an investigation into the collapse of a three-storey shopping complex at Alakija, Satellite Town in the Oriade Local Council Development Area.

The General Manager of LASBCA, Florence Gbaye, made this known in a statement signed by the Director, Public Affairs Unit of LASBCA, Ademuyiwa Adu, on Friday.

She disclosed that a secondary structural analysis and detailed investigation would also be conducted to determine the cause of the collapse.

Ms Gbaye urged Lagos residents and community leaders to promptly report distressed, abandoned or suspicious buildings to the agency for immediate intervention.

“Building safety is everyone’s responsibility. We encourage residents to immediately notify LASBCA of any building showing signs of distress or any incident in their environment so that necessary action can be taken before lives and property are endangered,” she said.

Ms Gbaye reaffirmed the agency’s commitment to promoting safe building practices, enforcing building regulations and safeguarding lives and property across Lagos State.

She sympathised with individuals, families and business owners affected by the incident.

Ms Gbaye urged members of the public to report building-related incidents through the agency’s toll-free line: 07000-527222, for prompt response and assistance.

Meanwhile, on Friday, some occupants of the collapsed building said they were unaware that it had been marked for demolition by the state government.

However, a government official who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the building had been marked for demolition, but the occupants failed to vacate the premises.

He said that evacuation continued into the early hours of Friday, with nine bodies recovered and 27 persons rescued.

Emergency responders were still at the site as of Friday.

 (NAN)

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Ondo governor signing document

Rights

Strike continues until Gov Aiyedatiwa meets our demands: AAUA-ASUU

ASUU branch of the Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba-Akoko branch, says it will continue its ongoing indefinite strike until the Ondo government meets its demands.

Cartons of tiles

States

Driver sentenced to years in prison for stealing tiles

The Kaduna Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday sentenced a driver, Edward Isaac, to two years’ imprisonment for stealing cartons of floor tiles worth N880,000.

Isa Mohammed Ashiru and Uba Sani

Politics

Ashiru needs lesson in education funding: Kaduna Govt

For three consecutive years, Governor Uba Sani has committed about one-quarter of Kaduna State’s annual budget to education.

Rilwan Akiolu

Lagos

Police arrest self-proclaimed Olu of Ikeja in Lagos

The police command in Lagos has detained a man for parading himself as the Olu of Ikeja and impersonating a traditional ruler without lawful authority.

Anti-Corruption

Prolific Chinese money launderer sentenced to years in U.S. prison

Mr Lu also served as a manager for the CMLO. He coordinated directly with U.S.-based drug traffickers and dispatched other couriers to pick up and deposit bulk cash.

President of the United Arab Emirates (UAE), Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan (Credit: Financial Times)

Economy

UAE suspends trade, financial transactions with Iran

The UAE has halted all trade, commercial exchange and financial transactions with Iran after the latter attacked several UAE-owned tankers and rejected new talks with the U.S.