#LekkiMassacre: Buhari’s ministers recommend probe of Nigerian Army

The federal cabinet on Wednesday recommended a thorough probe of the October 20 deadly military attack on protesters in Lagos.Â
The recommendation followed a visit of ministers to the scene of the massacre in Lagos last week.Â
Tunde Fashola, who read the decision following today’s executive council meeting said the administration would “undertake a thorough investigation into what happened in the Lekki Toll Plaza, particularly the role of the military and ensure that the outcome is made public with a view to achieving closure on the matter.”Â
Mr. Fashola did not immediately say how soon the investigation would commence, or under which scope. It was the first time the federal cabinet would have the matter on its agenda since the controversial military operation, having failed to discuss it at its October 21 sitting.
At least nine Nigerians were killed when soldiers opened fire on #EndSARS protesters shortly after sunset on October 20.Â
The Nigerian Army has faced criticism for its handling of the protest, but its top generals, led by Tukur Buratai, strongly denied wrongdoing and said the intervention was based on a request from Lagos authorities.
Governor Jide Sanwo-Olu has, however, distanced himself from the carnage and also promised to pursue justice in the matter. The International Criminal Court is proceeding with its own investigation into the attack.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Heading 5
Obi demands compensation for victims of electoral violence, killings in Osun
The NDC chieftain stressed the need for a democracy where elections are conducted without violence.Â

Abuja
Nigeria’s capital city Abuja flooded, vehicles submerged as FCT residents accuse Wike of encroaching on green areas
According to Mr Olayinka, the FCT administration is working to improve the drainage system.Â

Heading 4
NFF sacks Super Falcons coach, technical team After WAFCON, World Cup qualification failures
Mr Madugu led the team to their 10th WAFCON title in July 2025.Â

Sport
Coventry City confirm signing of Taiwo Awoniyi from Nottingham ForestÂ
In 2022, Awoniyi signed with Nottingham Forest in a record fee worth €17.2 million.Â

Health
FG, ICPC set up task team to tackle corruption in health sector
The permanent secretary described the partnership with ICPC as timely and important.Â

Heading 5
Gov. Sule inaugurates nine-member council to tackle insecurity in Nasarawa
He said sustainable security required justice, dialogue and responsible leadership.Â






