Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Local Content: Lai Mohammed slams new fines on companies advertising on CNN, other foreign outlets

Information minister maintained that adverts made to promote local brands must be directed and authored by Nigerians in the country.

• March 30, 2021
Lai Mohammed and CNN
A composite of Lai Mohammed and CNN logo used to illustrate the story

Information Minister Lai Mohammed says that Nigerian brands that run their adverts with CNN and other foreign outlets will be fined N100,000 for every time the advert is broadcasted.

“If you do an advert in South Africa, you put it on CNN and we look at that advert and we see that the advert was not made in Nigeria but actually made in South Africa, or you see that five times a day, it is on CNN, you pay half a million to us. The half a million will go to the Content Development Fund,” Mr Mohammed said.

He added that adverts made to promote local brands must be directed and authored by Nigerians in the country.

According to Vanguard newspaper, the Information Minister also made it compulsory for Nigerian brands in the habit of running adverts during foreign matches to advertise on Nigerian Premier Football League games.

He explained that for any Nigerian company to invest in a foreign league, the firm must spend at least 30 per cent of that money on Nigerian football.

“Let’s assume you have brought in La Liga, and during the matches, Guinness is advertised, we will compel you, we will compel Guinness to also advertise when we are playing a local league. That is the only way we can grow this industry but as can be expected, we have had very few supporters,” Mr Mohammed said.

“In other words, if Maltina or Guinness decides to bring in EPL, which is English football, we have no problem with that. But they must also invest in covering our local league to the tune of 30 per cent of what he has paid,” he added.

Mr Mohammed further disclosed that NBC had been mandated to regulate exclusive licensees to allow broadcasters to share exclusive rights with other local channels,

The policy takes monopoly off the likes of Multichoice to allow other broadcasters access to exclusive content.

The minister further explained that the decision was reached to create competition in the broadcast sector, adding that Nigeria will not be able to grow local content until there is competition in the broadcast sector.

It is immediately unclear if Mr Mohammed’s take is purely altruistic or in pursuance of the sanctions he promised against CNN and other foreign media in the aftermath of the #EndSARS protests coverage.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

victims rescued in Katsina

States

14 kidnap victims rescued in Katsina

Troops rescued six males and eight females abducted in Katsina State.

Nnaji Chidiebere

States

Police arrest suspected transformer vandal in Enugu

Police said the suspect was found unconscious with various degrees of injuries.

U.S. Department of Justice

World

U.S. govt indicts 17 Iranians over cyber theft

Prosecutors said the suspects allegedly stole more than 31 terabytes of data from institutions across the U.S.

Governor Hyacinth Alia

States

Gov Alia nominates six new commissioners, seeks Benue assembly’s approval

The governor said the nominations were intended to strengthen the state executive council by filling existing vacancies and replacing outgoing members.

Riley Moore and Bola Tinubu

Heading 1

Nigeria should remain designated ‘country of particular concern’, Tinubu allowing slaughtering of Christians: U.S. Lawmaker

“Do not remove the CPC designation for Nigeria. They have not done near enough to protect Christians! They continue to get slaughtered,” Mr Moore said.

President Bola Tinubu

NationWide

Tinubu pledges peaceful campaign ahead of 2027 elections

“Let us remember that elections are not a do-or-die affair. We are partners in the project of nation-building,” he said.