Man in court for destroying 300,000 pieces of watermelon worth N1.5 million
A 35-year-old man, Abubakar Usman, appeared before an Ile-Ife Magistrates’ Court on Monday for allegedly destroying 300,000 pieces of watermelon worth N1.5 million.
The prosecution counsel, Sunday Osanyintuyi, told the court that the defendant committed the offence on August 4 around 7:22 p.m. at the toll gate, Ibadan Road, Ile-Ife.
Mr Osanyintuyi said that the defendant maliciously damaged 300,000 pieces of watermelon valued at N1.5 million, property of Asiru Bako.
He added that the defendant deliberately refused to transport the watermelon to Lagos State as agreed upon, knowing full well that the fruit was perishable goods.
The offence, he said, contravened the provisions of Section 451 of the Criminal Code, Laws of Osun, 2002.
The defendant, however, pleaded not guilty.
The defence counsel, Leke Dada, applied for bail for his client in the most liberal terms.
Magistrate A. I. Oyebadejo admitted the defendant to bail in the sum of N250,000 with two sureties in like sum.
Mr Oyebadejo added that the sureties must swear to an affidavit of means.
The magistrate adjourned the matter until August 30 for hearing.
More from Peoples Gazette
Mr Abdullahi said the community had suffered more than 13 attacks, lost more than 50 persons and have spent over N200 million in the last two years as ransom.
Liverpool are now second on the EPL log with 45 points in 21 games, displacing Chelsea who had 43 points in 22 games so far.
The APC chieftain, who is aspiring to become Nigeria’s president in 2023, has revved up visitations to politicians in the name of sympathy.
The traffic diversions and road rehabilitation would last for three months, Lagos transport commissioner said.
Police spokesman in the state, Wasiu Abiodun, in a statement in Minna on Sunday, said the victims were abducted at about 02:00 a.m. on Friday.
EEDC warned that if electricity theft was not abated, energy services in the region would be jeopardised.