Migrants not entitled to asylum from Mexico side of U.S. border: Supreme Court

The United States Supreme Court on Thursday ruled that migrants who apply from the Mexican side of the U.S. border would not be eligible for asylum unless they cross into the country.
The 6-3 verdict allows President Donald Trump’s administration to block asylum seekers at the border amid its immigration crackdown after it sought to reinvigorate the 2016 “metering” policy.
The case centres on whether migrants on the Mexican side of the border can be considered to have arrived in the U.S. or only after physically crossing the border.
The Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) provides that an alien who “arrives in the United States” may apply for asylum and must be inspected, but the Trump administration maintained that foreign nationals turned back before entering the country are ineligible to apply for asylum.
Justices Samuel Alito, John Roberts, Clarence Thomas, Neil Gorsuch, Brett Kavanaugh, and Amy Coney Barrett joined the majority opinion, while Elena Kagan, Ketanji Brown Jackson, and Sonia Sotomayor disagreed.
“The wisdom of the policy of metering alien arrivals at the southern border is not before us,” Mr Alito, who delivered the court’s opinion, wrote.
“We decide only that an alien standing in Mexico does not ‘arrive in the United States’. The INA neither entitles such an alien to apply for asylum nor requires an immigration officer to inspect him.”
However, Ms Sotomayor argued that the decision would deny asylum seekers protections guaranteed under U.S. law by preventing them from entering the country, noting, “The consequences of today’s decision are predictable.”
“They may do so even if the asylum seeker is at the threshold of a port of entry designated to receive all noncitizens who seek entrance into the country.
“Even if the port of entry has ample capacity to inspect that person, including an available asylum officer trained to process asylum applications. Even if the asylum seeker is certain to be persecuted or killed, if she is turned away,” she said.
The Department of Homeland Security first adopted the “metering” policy in 2016, following a surge in admissions at the U.S.-Mexico border. Then, officials limited the number of migrants seeking asylum and prevented others from entering the country beyond the number of ports of entry capable of processing them.
Former President Joe Biden’s administration rescinded the policy in 2021.
Amid its crackdown on immigration, the Trump government asked the apex court in March to revive the 2016 policy to address the influx of migrants into the U.S.
An appeals court also ruled in April that the government would not categorically deny asylum to migrants crossing into the U.S. from Mexico.
Since returning to the White House last year, Mr Trump has moved to limit immigration into the U.S., citing a high rate of visa overstays and identity fraud, among other issues.
A humanitarian group, Al Otro Lado, and a group of asylum seekers filed the case in 2017 during Mr Trump’s first administration, when migrants were turned back at the border.
Critics said the asylum seekers were left stranded at temporary housing.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

NationWide
Experts urge FG to list state assets to bolster stock market
A senior researcher at BAA Consult, Benjamin Akinsoto, urged regulators to reduce bureaucratic bottlenecks to attract more foreign investors.

Hot news Home top
INEC projects over 100 million registered voters, targets effective publicity, mobilisation toward 2027
Mr Haruna said INEC information officers should deliver effective publicity to mobilise all eligible citizens.

Africa
WHO hopeful on Congo Ebola outbreak containment
The WHO has raised about 60 per cent of the $115 million needed to fund the Ebola response.

Africa
Re-elected Zambia’s President Hichilema promises development, peace
The Zambian president said he would work harder than ever before to deliver meaningful development to the citizens.

Heading 3
Osun Poll: Gov. Adeleke discredits ADC’s collaboration claim with Accord to defeat APC
Mr Abdullahi said anyone familiar with what happened in Osun State knew the role his party played to secure the victory for the Accord.

NationWide
Digital payments vital to financial inclusion, economic growth: CBN
Ms Nwabukwu urged entrepreneurs and traders to embrace digital payment solutions.






