Tuesday, October 4, 2022

Military seeks arrest warrant for officer over sexual harassment case

Military prosecutors on Wednesday sought an arrest warrant for an air force non-commissioned officer on charges of sexually harassing a female colleague.

• June 2, 2021

Military prosecutors on Wednesday sought an arrest warrant for an air force non-commissioned officer on charges of sexually harassing a female colleague.

The defence ministry said the warrant followed mounting criticism that the military’s mishandling of the case led to the victim taking her own life.

Investigators also took the suspect, identified as Master Sergeant Jang, into custody.

He was suspected of sexually harassing the victim of the same rank inside a car on their way back to the base in the western city of Seosan after a private gathering in March.

A military court was to hold a hearing to decide whether to issue the warrant, the ministry said.

The military came under intense criticism following revelations that the victim took her own life, and her family members claimed her superiors tried to persuade her to reach a settlement with the alleged perpetrator without taking due protective measures.

Earlier in the day, Defence Minister, Suh Wook, pledged a transparent and thorough investigation when he met with the bereaved family members at a military hospital in Seongnam, south of Seoul, where the body of the female master sergeant was laid.

“We will thoroughly look into the case so that there is no room left for any doubts,’’ Mr Suh told the parents of the late master sergeant, promising a transparent investigation, according to pool reports.

Following an hour-long closed-door meeting with the minister, the mother of the late victim passed out after sobbing in front of her daughter’s portrait and was transferred to a hospital.

On Tuesday, Mr Suh ordered the air force to hand over the case to the defence ministry. The investigation team will also look into whether the military appropriately handled the case when it was first reported.

Starting from June 3, the ministry will also run a two-week special reporting period for sexual harassment cases in the military to check if there were any other sexual violence cases in barracks.

According to the ministry, service members who suffered or witnessed sexual abuse can report it via a phone call or email.

“Through this special reporting period, the defence ministry will make utmost efforts to protect victims who haven’t been able to report their sufferings,’’ the ministry said in a statement.

Meanwhile, the air force is also looking into a case where a technical sergeant in the central city of Chungju allegedly broke into the quarters of his female colleagues and illegally took photos of their bodies and underclothes.

At least six female service members were believed to have been victimised between 2020 and May 2021, but the number could grow further as he is suspected of committing such acts also against civilians. 

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

Faith

Sharia court dissolves one-year marriage for lack of love

The wife requested a divorce, saying she was no longer interested in her one-year marriage due to a lack of love.

Ukrainian President, Volodymyr Zelensky

World

Ukraine bans citizens from negotiating with Russia’s Putin

Ukraine has virtually ruled out talks before a complete Russian withdrawal as its forces retake large parts of the occupied regions.

Rail and port workers in South Africa

Africa

South Africa’s rail, port workers to strike over low wages

The two labour unions said they would begin the strike on Thursday in a move that could halt the export of critical minerals and other cargo.

NITDA Office

NationWide

Cybersecurity: NITDA warns of unverified instant loan platforms

The agency warned Nigerians against downloading unregistered loan-based applications.

Fuel queue in Abuja and IPMAN

Abuja

IPMAN urges against panic buying as fuel queues surface in FCT

Some retail outlets around Maitama, Wuse, Gwarimpa, Wuye and Kubwa Expressways were selling fuel, while others were not.

high-tension power cable

States

Kaduna govt removes structures under high tension lines

The structures, illegally erected, were a danger to the safety of lives and properties.