Saturday, August 22, 2026

Muslim mayor sues U.S. government following disinvitation to White House event

Mr Khairullah, who organised a press conference on Monday, recounted the events that led to his being placed on the terror list.

• September 18, 2023
Mohamed Khairullah
Mohamed Khairullah [Photo: northjersey]

Mohamed Khairullah, a Muslim American mayor, and 11 other Muslim faithful have filed a lawsuit against the U.S. government at a federal court in Boston, alleging that they are still being victimised despite having their names removed from the terror blacklist.

The lawsuit was filed just a few weeks after Mr Khairullah’s invitation to an Eid gathering at the White House was abruptly and unexplainably rescinded in May.

Mr. Khairullah, a two-term mayor of Prospect Park in New Jersey, claimed he learned of his exclusion from the White House Muslim celebration shortly before the event.

“As we stated in the past, we were not able to grant entry to the Mayor at the White House and we regret any inconvenience that may have caused,” the security agency told VOA.

Although the Secret Service did not say why they revoked his invitation, Mr Khairullah surmised he was disinvited because his name had previously appeared on the terror list between 2019 and 2022.

“After approximately August 2022, after Defendants removed Mr Khairullah from the watchlist, they continued — and continue, to this day — to retain records of his past watchlist status and use them to harm and stigmatise him,” reads the lawsuit filed by Muslim Advocacy group, Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) and listed the mayor and 11 other Muslims as plaintiffs.

29 defendants, including the Secret Service, the FBI, Customs and Border Protection were named in the lawsuit which claimed the plaintiffs suffered victimisation because of their religion and said it was the sole reason they had been placed on the terror list.

“All of them have been placed on the federal watchlist even though they have never been investigated or convicted of a terrorism-related crime and even though the federal government has no reason to suspect that they’re terrorists except for their Muslim faith, their Muslim sounding names, their countries of origin from Muslim-majority countries and other markers of their identity as Muslims,” CAIR lawyer Hannah Mullen told VOA.

Mr Khairullah, who organised a press conference on Monday, recounted the events that led to his being placed on the terror list. He explained that his 2019 trip to his home country, Syria, to chronicle the horrifying maladministration of Bashar Assad who clung to power, earned him a spot on the terror list.

Even though his name was eventually taken off the list, the mayor claimed that life had not yet returned to normal for him and that if he remained silent, his children would probably suffer the same fate.

“If I don’t do something now, my children and their children will probably be second-class citizens based on their ethnic and religious background,” Mr Khairullah said on Monday.

The CAIR lawyer noted that Mr Khairullah “is certainly not the only person in this circumstance, and he’s certainly not the only person of which we’re aware who appears to have been harmed by past watchlist status.”

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Zacch Adedeji, Federal Inland Revenue Service Chairman

Heading 4

Tinubu appoints tax czar Zacch Adedeji as 2027 campaign ‘fundraising deputy director’

Mr Adedeji will join other politicians in raising funds for Mr Tinubu’s re-election bid.

Abuja

FCTA trains health ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠workers on basic life support to improve emergency care

She explained that the participants would share the knowledge gained with their colleagues.

Mosquitoes

Health

Insecticide resistance, climate change worsening malaria fight, says expert

According to him, mosquitoes remain one of the most significant public health threats globally.

Fleeing crime group members

World

Fleeing crime group members extradited, jailed over 2020 murder of Nigerian teen in UK

The four convicts were members of the Oldham-based Representing the Danger (RTD) organised crime gr

Bowie Police Department's Statement

World

Suspect arrested for allegedly shooting female resident in U.S. neighbourhood

The police said the weapon, a Sig Sauer 380 handgun, was recovered at the scene.

Ethel Caterham

World

World’s oldest person Ethel Caterham celebrates 117th birthday

Ms Caterham is the last known surviving person born during the reign of King Edward VII, who died in 1910.