My government killed 13,000 terrorists in one year, says Tinubu

President Bola Tinubu said on Friday that the spate of insecurity ravaging Nigerian communities has reduced, with security agencies neutralising more than 13,000 terrorists in one year.
In his Democracy Day speech, Mr Tinubu attributed this to the military’s shift from training with international partners—the U.S., France, and other European countries—to conducting “precision targeting”.
“Terror-related deaths are down by 81 per cent since 2015,” Mr Tinubu said. “Over 13,000 terrorists have been neutralised in the past year.”
According to him, more than 124,000 terrorists and their families have surrendered their arms since 2023 through Operation Safe Corridor, which he said was “still open.”
The president expressed hope for the safe return of teachers and pupils abducted in communities in Oyo State last month.
As part of measures to address insecurity, Mr Tinubu noted his administration’s recruitment of 50,000 police officers and thousands of military officers.
“Our 2026 budget commits N5.41 trillion—our largest ever—to defence and security. Our administration is ever ready to do much more to secure our people,” he said.
While commending the “sacrifices” of the security agencies, Mr Tinubu warned that “no mercy will be shown” to sponsors of terror.
Nigeria ranked ninth on the Norwegian Refugee Council’s list of the world’s most neglected displacement crises amid persistent armed conflict and intercommunal as well as farmer–herder violence.
This is Nigeria’s sixth appearance on the list since 2016. The NRC’s report, published on June 4, said armed groups—Boko Haram, ISWAP, and Lakurawa—killed more than 4,000 people in 2025, and 7.8 million Nigerians, including children, are in need of humanitarian assistance.
The report added that while Nigerians require more international aid, “they also need a government willing to account for its resources and the assurance that the limited funding that does arrive is invested efficiently and reaches those who need it most”.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

World
Over 5,000 Ethiopians face deportation after U.S. court ruling
A federal judge ruled to end Temporary Protected Status (TPS), which allows Ethiopians to live and work in the U.S.

Education
UNILAG extends deadline for UTME candidates to upload results after portal glitch
The deadline, initially set for Wednesday, has been moved to August 24, 2026.

Heading 5
Trump govt sanctions ICC president Tomoko Akane, senior lawyer
The U.S. government imposed sanctions on ICC president Tomoko Akane over what it described as the tribunal’s “corrupt and fatally politicised” activities.

Heading 2
Pakistan Supreme Court orders jailed ex-PM Imran Khan moved to hospital
The court also ruled that the former prime minister would be allowed to meet with his family weekly, including telephone calls with his sons.

States
Lagos APC targets three million votes for Tinubu in 2027
Mr Ojelabi said the party’s performance in the 2023 presidential election was disappointing, and urged members to use the 2027 election to redeem its image.

States
Remi Tinubu inaugurates national community food bank for South-West
She said the programme is a deliberate, sustainable response to food insecurity and malnutrition among vulnerable households nationwide.






