Tuesday, August 18, 2026

N-Power in Disarray: Buhari regime launches new scheme to recruit 20,000 youths into private jobs

President Muhammadu Buhari’s regime is set to launch a yearly graduate job fellowship to recruit 20,000 young graduates into private and public organisations across the country as part of its

and • August 31, 2021
Unemployed youths
Unemployed youths used to illustrate the story

President Muhammadu Buhari’s regime is set to launch a yearly graduate job fellowship to recruit 20,000 young graduates into private and public organisations across the country as part of its poverty reduction programmes.

The fellowship is tagged ‘Nigeria Jubilee Fellows Programme’.

According to a statement shared by presidential aide Tolu Ogunlesi, application for the NJFP commences on Tuesday for graduates below the age of 30.

The scheme, supported by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) in Nigeria, is expected to improve employability.

“The jobs will last for 12 months, will be fully-paid, and will seek to help prepare qualifying recent graduates for their future careers and work environments,” the statement said.

Mr Buhari’s regime has repeatedly vowed to lift millions of Nigerians out of poverty, many of whom are youths.

According to the regime, the programme’s goals include “improving employability, building useful career and leadership skills in young graduates, and connecting employers and potential employees.”

Earlier, Vice President Yemi Osinbajo had said the initiative would create internship opportunities for youths who have just concluded the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) programme.

The launch came a week after the regime inaugurated 510,000 N-Power Batch C stream one across Nigeria. N-Power was set up in June 2016 to address unemployment.

Last June, Mr Buhari inaugurated a new poverty committee, appointing Mr Osinbajo as the chairman.

Speaking at the inauguration, Mr Buhari reiterated his regime’s commitment to lift 100 million Nigerians out of poverty in10 years with a well-researched framework for implementation and funding. He noted that the NPRGS had already proposed establishing a private equity fund, the Nigeria Investment and Growth Fund, to lead resource mobilisation drive and sustainably manage the resources.

“This journey began in January 2021 when I directed the chairman of the Presidential Economic Advisory Council and the Secretary to the Government of the Federation to collaboratively work together to articulate what will lift 100 million Nigerians out of poverty in 10 years,” he stated.

The president further noted, “I am happy to note that the process of designing this inclusive poverty reduction strategy recognised and addressed past mistakes as well as laid the foundation for a sustainable poverty reduction.”

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Ronaldo with family

Hot news Home top

‘This is probably my last year of football,’ says Ronaldo

“This is probably my last year of football, and I want to leave a spectacular legacy,” said Ronaldo.

Governor Alex Otti congratulated former military dictator Ibrahim Babangida

Politics

Former military dictator IBB ‘father of Abia state’, says Otti

Governor Alex Otti congratulated former military dictator Ibrahim Babangida on his 85th birthday, describing him as the ‘Father of Abia state’.

President Donald Trump

Economy

Iran War: Trump threatens to bomb Oman over Strait of Hormuz

President Donald Trump threatened to bomb Oman in the Middle East if it “gets in the way” of its deal between the United States and Iran over the Strait of Hormuz.

Thousands at jason ardy vigil

World

Thousands keep vigil to mourn Jason Arday

Thousands of people gathered on Monday at a vigil in Trafalgar Square for Jason Arday, a 41-year-old Cambridge University professor who died amid allegations of plagiarism.

Ebola clinic in DRC

Africa

Ebola outbreak becomes deadliest in DR Congo’s history

WHO says Ebola Bundibugyo outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo is now the deadliest the country has ever faced.

Otti signing document

Economy

Abia tax reform targets efficiency, says commissioner

The Abia government says its tax reforms are designed to improve transparency, accountability and efficiency in revenue collection.