N-Power in Disarray: Buhari regime launches new scheme to recruit 20,000 youths into private jobs

President Muhammadu Buhari’s regime is set to launch a yearly graduate job fellowship to recruit 20,000 young graduates into private and public organisations across the country as part of its poverty reduction programmes.
The fellowship is tagged ‘Nigeria Jubilee Fellows Programme’.
According to a statement shared by presidential aide Tolu Ogunlesi, application for the NJFP commences on Tuesday for graduates below the age of 30.
The scheme, supported by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) in Nigeria, is expected to improve employability.
“The jobs will last for 12 months, will be fully-paid, and will seek to help prepare qualifying recent graduates for their future careers and work environments,” the statement said.
Mr Buhari’s regime has repeatedly vowed to lift millions of Nigerians out of poverty, many of whom are youths.
According to the regime, the programme’s goals include “improving employability, building useful career and leadership skills in young graduates, and connecting employers and potential employees.”
Earlier, Vice President Yemi Osinbajo had said the initiative would create internship opportunities for youths who have just concluded the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) programme.
The launch came a week after the regime inaugurated 510,000 N-Power Batch C stream one across Nigeria. N-Power was set up in June 2016 to address unemployment.
Last June, Mr Buhari inaugurated a new poverty committee, appointing Mr Osinbajo as the chairman.
Speaking at the inauguration, Mr Buhari reiterated his regime’s commitment to lift 100 million Nigerians out of poverty in10 years with a well-researched framework for implementation and funding. He noted that the NPRGS had already proposed establishing a private equity fund, the Nigeria Investment and Growth Fund, to lead resource mobilisation drive and sustainably manage the resources.
“This journey began in January 2021 when I directed the chairman of the Presidential Economic Advisory Council and the Secretary to the Government of the Federation to collaboratively work together to articulate what will lift 100 million Nigerians out of poverty in 10 years,” he stated.
The president further noted, “I am happy to note that the process of designing this inclusive poverty reduction strategy recognised and addressed past mistakes as well as laid the foundation for a sustainable poverty reduction.”
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Heading 2
FBI announces recruitment exercise in U.S, other countries
Mr Rothrock said America needs help to sustain its national peace from home and around the world.

States
Troops foil mass abduction in Zamfara
The spokesman for the operation said the incident occurred on Sunday.

Heading 5
Obi demands compensation for victims of electoral violence, killings in Osun
The NDC chieftain stressed the need for a democracy where elections are conducted without violence.

Abuja
Nigeria’s capital city Abuja flooded, vehicles submerged as FCT residents accuse Wike of encroaching on green areas
According to Mr Olayinka, the FCT administration is working to improve the drainage system.

Heading 4
NFF sacks Super Falcons coach, technical team After WAFCON, World Cup qualification failures
Mr Madugu led the team to their 10th WAFCON title in July 2025.

Sport
Coventry City confirm signing of Taiwo Awoniyi from Nottingham Forest
In 2022, Awoniyi signed with Nottingham Forest in a record fee worth €17.2 million.






