Tuesday, August 18, 2026

NAPTIP declares Speed Darlington wanted for alleged rape, cybercrime

NAPTIP urged anyone with credible information on Speed Darlington’s whereabouts to contact them immediately.

• June 27, 2025
NAPTIP wanted banner of Speed Darlington
NAPTIP wanted banner of Speed Darlington

The National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP) has declared controversial musician Darlington Okoye, popularly known as Speed Darlington, wanted in connection with alleged offences including rape, cyberbullying, and cyberstalking.

A public notice issued by the agency on its Instagram page included Mr Okoye’s photograph and his nicknames, such as “Akpi,” “Irregular Speedometer,” and “Scorpion King.”

NAPTIP urged anyone with credible information on his whereabouts to contact them immediately.

The post read, “Darlington Okoye, aka Speed Darlington, is wanted in connection with alleged offences including rape, cyberbullying, and cyberstalking. Anyone with credible information on his whereabouts is urged to contact NAPTIP immediately.”

NAPTIP provided contact information, including a dedicated call centre line (07030000203) and a shortcode (627), for the public to assist in locating the musician.

This development comes a month after NAPTIP formally summoned the Nigerian entertainer over a disturbing video in which he claimed to have had sexual relations with an underage girl.

The video, which was posted on Mr Okoye’s Instagram page, sparked outrage online and prompted a swift response from the agency.

In the invitation letter signed by the head of NAPTIP’s cybercrime response team, Ngamaraju Mangzha, the agency warned that failure to appear at their Abuja headquarters could result in further legal action.

The letter also referenced archived videos where Mr Okoye allegedly made similar admissions and derogatory remarks about minors.

Mr Okoye failed to show up on the invited date and requested a one-month extension, which the agency declined. The agency offered him an alternative date, but he still failed to appear.

NAPTIP noted that if verified, Mr Okoye’s statements would contravene provisions of the Trafficking in Persons (Prohibition) Enforcement and Administration Act (TIPPEA), 2015, and the Cybercrime Act, 2015.

While the artiste later claimed he made the implicating comments to promote his upcoming song, the agency has treated the issue as a serious matter of public concern.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Ronaldo with family

Hot news Home top

‘This is probably my last year of football,’ says Ronaldo

“This is probably my last year of football, and I want to leave a spectacular legacy,” said Ronaldo.

Governor Alex Otti congratulated former military dictator Ibrahim Babangida

Politics

Former military dictator IBB ‘father of Abia state’, says Otti

Governor Alex Otti congratulated former military dictator Ibrahim Babangida on his 85th birthday, describing him as the ‘Father of Abia state’.

President Donald Trump

Economy

Iran War: Trump threatens to bomb Oman over Strait of Hormuz

President Donald Trump threatened to bomb Oman in the Middle East if it “gets in the way” of its deal between the United States and Iran over the Strait of Hormuz.

Thousands at jason ardy vigil

World

Thousands keep vigil to mourn Jason Arday

Thousands of people gathered on Monday at a vigil in Trafalgar Square for Jason Arday, a 41-year-old Cambridge University professor who died amid allegations of plagiarism.

Ebola clinic in DRC

Africa

Ebola outbreak becomes deadliest in DR Congo’s history

WHO says Ebola Bundibugyo outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo is now the deadliest the country has ever faced.

Otti signing document

Economy

Abia tax reform targets efficiency, says commissioner

The Abia government says its tax reforms are designed to improve transparency, accountability and efficiency in revenue collection.