NBC journalist Savannah Guthrie fears fame behind mother’s kidnapping

American journalist and NBC’s Today host Savannah Guthrie has opened up about the suspected kidnapping of her 84-year-old mother, Nancy Guthrie, saying she fears that her public profile may have caused the kidnapping.
Speaking in an interview alongside co-host Hoda Kotb, released on NBC’s Today show on Thursday, Ms Guthrie struggled to hold back tears as she recounted how she found out her mother had gone missing.
“My sister called me. I said, ‘Is everything OK?’ And she said, ‘No. Mum’s missing,’” she said. “I was in a panic.”
Initially, she said the family suspected paramedics had taken her mother for an emergency, noting that doors were left open while her personal belongings, including her phone and purse, were inside.
However, they later suspected that it might have been otherwise.
“There was blood on the front doorstep, and the ring camera had been yanked off,” Ms Guthrie said, adding that her mother had been in severe back pain and was unlikely to have wandered off.
She revealed that her brother, who has an intelligence background, raised the alarm over the phone, suggesting it could have been a kidnapping.
“He said, ‘I think she’s been kidnapped for ransom.’ I said, ‘Do you think because of me?’ I hoped not,” she said.
The broadcaster admitted she had been blaming herself, believing that her fame had made her family a target.
She added, “To think that I brought this to her bedside, that it’s because of me. I’d just say, ‘I’m so sorry, mummy. I’m so sorry.’”
Multiple ransom notes had been sent to media outlets, though Ms Guthrie believes not all are real.
“I think most of them are not real. But the two notes we saw and responded to, I think those are real,” she said.
Ms Guthrie has since stepped back from her presenting duties, including planned coverage of the Winter Olympics.
Ms Guthrie’s mother was last seen on January 31 at her home in Catalina Foothills, near Tucson.
The family has made repeated public appeals and is offering a $1 million reward, along with an additional $100,000 from the FBI, for anyone with helpful information about the abduction.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Heading 5
Gov. Sule inaugurates nine-member council to tackle insecurity in Nasarawa
He said sustainable security required justice, dialogue and responsible leadership.

States
Edo govt. begins palliative work on Okhun road in Benin
Mr Idahosa said he had visited the site consecutively from Friday to Monday to monitor the work.

States
Ex-governor Aregbesola congratulates Adeleke on his electoral victory
He urged Mr Adeleke to see the outcome of the election as a renewed mandate to unite the state.

States
Over 200 lecturers, including professors, have left KASU: ASUU
He attributed the development to poor remuneration and declining welfare conditions in the university.

States
Five farmers die as boat capsizes in Niger
Hussaini Ibrahim, spokesman for the Niger State Emergency Management Agency (NSEMA) said the victims were four men and one female.

World
U.S. hiker struck dead by lightning on Mount Etna
Mount Etna is Europe’s tallest active volcano, which sits at over 3,000 above Sicily’s eastern coast.






