Friday, August 21, 2026

Netizens react as opposition parties plan single presidential candidate for 2027

An X user described the plan as a brutal checkmate to PresidentTinubu.

• April 25, 2026
Peter Obi, Rotimi Ameachi and Atiku abubakar
Peter Obi, Rotimi Ameachi and Atiku abubakar

Several Nigerians have taken to social media in reaction to plans by opposition parties, including the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and the African Democratic Congress (ADC), to present a single presidential candidate to challenge President Bola Tinubu in the 2027 election. 

The parties reached the agreement at the end of a national summit of opposition party leaders held in Ibadan on Saturday.

An X user, @U_Rochas, said, “The agreement of the opposition parties to field one candidate in the 2027 presidential election is a brutal checkmate to Tinubu. I said earlier that there is a way someone plays the game and ends up playing himself. BAT has played himself.”

Another X user,@firstladyship, wrote, “Opposition parties have decided to field only one presidential candidate. Asiwaju has succeeded in uniting the opposition. Like the ‘Doctrine of Necessity’ that transferred powers to GEJ, Ibadan Declaration has entered the history books. Historians should take note of epoch event.”

A verified X user, @drkenon2, also noted that “Participating opposition parties in Nigeria, after deliberations on the existential threats & challenges we face under the oppressive APC, have resolved to field one presidential candidate in 2027.”

@OurFavOnlineDoc, also shared that “The main opposition parties in Nigeria have agreed to field one presidential candidate! It’s time to unite to fight the devil,” the user wrote.

Key opposition figures present at the Ibadan meeting included former Vice President Atiku Abubakar, former Anambra State Governor Peter Obi, former Senate President David Mark, former Kano State Governor Rabiu Kwankwaso, and former Osun State Governor Rauf Aregbesola, among others. 

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

President Bola Tinubu and Bandits

Politics

ISIS would have taken over Nigeria if not for Tinubu, presidency spokesman says

“Were it not for the various interventions of Bola Ahmed Tinubu, Nigeria would have become a sorry state security-wise,” the presidential aide said.

Conjunctivitis

Health

Yobe: Authorities issue alert as conjunctivitis reaches epidemic level in Potiskum

Conjunctivitis has reached epidemic proportions in Potiskum and surrounding communities, prompting health authorities to alert residents.

INEC OFFICIALS AT POLLING BOOTH

Politics

Delta: INEC fixes September 19 for Udu constituency by-election

The Independent National Electoral Commission has fixed September 19 for the by-election into the Udu Constituency of the Delta House of Assembly.

Dumpsite smoke

Economy

Nigeria implementing policies to reduce methane emissions from waste: FG

The federal government is implementing policies to reduce methane emissions from dumpsites and promote sustainable waste management practices across the country.

Tinubu with governors

Economy

Subsidy removal made life difficult for Nigerians, Tinubu used money to fund governors’ opulent lifestyle: Atiku

“That is not reform. It is economic arson followed by propaganda about the ashes,” Phrank Shaibu said of President Bola Tinubu’s policies.

Obi in Igbo attire

Politics

I won’t focus on religion, ethnicity in my 2027 presidential election campaign: Obi

“Daddy, I need you to speak to your people in the South-West and Kwara, the Christians in the South-West and Kwara,” Mr Obi said in 2023. “This is a religious war.”