Thursday, August 20, 2026

Niger villagers say NAF airstrikes targeted at terrorists killed civilians as DHQ dismisses claims

The DHQ spokesperson, however, said relevant military formations had been directed to verify the allegations of civilian casualties if any.

and • May 10, 2026
Affected Niger villagers
Affected Niger villagers(credit people’s gazette)

At least 12 persons were accidentally killed after a Nigerian Air Force (NAF) airstrikes targeting terrorists in transit from Zamfara hit Kusasu village in Shiroro Local Government Area of Niger State.

The incident reportedly occurred in the area at about 10:00 a.m. on Sunday after terrorists gathered to coordinate attacks on nearby communities.

A community source who spoke on condition of anonymity for fear of attack said about 22 civilians were affected in the airstrike carried out by the NAF.

“Twelve persons were killed inside their room,” he told the Peoples Gazette.

Another villager, Mohammed Ibrahim, said the NAF targeted terrorists before mistakenly hitting residents in the community.

“The information we gathered was that a large number of bandits were assembled to attack Erena and neighbouring villages and the airstrikes targeted them,” he said.

He added that the terrorists later moved toward a community in the Munya LGA.

Images of the incident obtained by the Gazette gory though multiple sources said several terrorists were also hit during the airstrikes.

“But the airstrike hit civilians and women and children were also injured. They are in hospital receiving treatment,” he said.

Mr Ibrahim described the attacked village as a stronghold of bandits loyal to Dogo Gide, adding that residents and terrorists coexist in the area.

“The pilot could not differentiate between pilot and bandits in the village,” he added.

However, the Defence Headquarters (DHQ) dismissed claims of civilian casualties during the Niger State aerial interdiction operations.

In a statement on Sunday in Abuja, the DHQ insisted that the strikes were precisely targeted at armed bandits.

The statement was made available to journalists by the Director, Defence Media Operations, Maj.-Gen. Michael Onoja.

Mr Onoja said the operations, conducted in the early hours of May 10, were based on credible intelligence indicating the convergence of armed bandits at Lukupe Village and other locations within Shiroro LGA.

He said the Nigerian Army UAV Command subsequently carried out multiple airstrikes between 11:59 p.m. on May 9 and 6:00 a.m. on May 10, targeting identified bandit enclaves in Katerma, Bokko, Kusasu and Kuduru villages.

According to him, post-strike intelligence and local sources confirmed that the aerial interdiction was accurate, particularly in Kusasu, Katerma and Bokko, where the strikes achieved their intended objectives.

“About 70 bandits were neutralised in Kusasu alone, while others were seen gathering the remains of their colleagues for burial. Further observations indicated that over 200 armed fighters on motorcycles retreated towards Zango, with additional groups advancing from Bokko, suggesting attempts to regroup or carry out attacks on nearby communities and security installations,” he said.

Mr Onoja added that another group was observed converging at Kopa, east of Mongoro, indicating possible plans to attack government or security infrastructure in the area, prompting timely military action to neutralise the threats.

He stressed that contrary to circulating reports, the strikes did not target civilians, noting that residents in the affected communities had earlier relocated to Sarkin Pawa for safety prior to the operation.

“This fact undermines claims that innocent civilians were present in the strike zones at the time,” he said.

The DHQ spokesperson, however, said relevant military formations had been directed to verify the allegations of civilian casualties if any.

He reiterated the commitment of the Armed Forces of Nigeria to the protection of law-abiding citizens and adherence to rules of engagement and applicable laws in all operations.

Mr Onoja urged the media and the public to exercise restraint and avoid spreading unverified reports that could embolden criminal elements, undermine troop morale and erode public confidence in ongoing security efforts.

“The Armed Forces will continue to pursue and neutralise all threats to national security with precision, professionalism and resolve,” he said. 

(NAN)

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Police officers

Lagos

Lagos police nab six over viral video of miscreants harassing motorists

Ms Adebisi said the command was already aware of the activities of the miscreants. 

Corps members

Heading 3

NYSC DG urges corps members to remain politically neutral, obey scheme rules

According to him, adherence to the core values of the scheme remains non-negotiable.

African Democratic Party (ADC)

States

ADC cautions Jigawa government against unregulated mining

He warned that inadequate mining regulations could provide opportunities for bandits. 

Brandon Hudspeth, Ifeanyi Ossai and others signed a document of cooperation at the National Museum, Onikan.

States

Enugu receives $125,000 U.S. grant for preservation of Lejja Iron-Smelting site

Mr Hudspeth said the grant is aimed at transforming and providing digital documentation of the site. 

President Bola Tinubu and Governor Ademola Adeleke

States

Tinubu urges Adeleke to promote unity, reconciliation in Osun

The president urged Mr Adeleke to focus on governance and improving the welfare of Osun residents. 

The FCT Minister of State, Dr Mahmoud Mariya

Abuja

Mahmoud calls on churches, mosques to promote peace ahead of 2027 elections

Ms Mahmoud urged citizens to continue supporting and praying for Mr Tinubu.