Nigerian Army backtracks, admits soldiers were at Lekki Toll-Gate during massacre
The Nigerian Army has retracted its initial claim that soldiers were not present at the scene of Lekki massacre on October 20.
Army’s 81 Division in Lagos said on Tuesday night that its personnel were at the protest the night of the attack, but only at the instance of Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu and they were not involved in any gun attack.
“At no time did soldiers of the Nigerian Army open fire on any civilian,” The Nation cited a military statement Monday as saying. “From the onset of the ENDSARS protest, there was no time for personnel of 81 Division Nigerian Army Lagos were involved.”
“However, the decision to call in the military was taken by the Lagos State Government (LASG) after a 24- hour curfew was imposed,” the statement said.
Chief of Army Staff Tukur Buratai, who has been under public pressure to come clean on what he might know about the attack, had already said yesterday that soldiers were deployed across the country to enforce curfew declarations by governors.
The Army initially claimed on October 20 that its personnel were not anywhere near the scene of the massacre at Lekki Toll Plaza, despite widespread evidence to the contrary.
The latest pushback came a day after Mr. Sanwo-Olu said on CNN that military chiefs will be held accountable for the massacre.
The governor has repeatedly denied asking the military to advance to Lekki for the controversial and deadly operation.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette
Two first half goals from Jordan Henderson and Harry Kane and another in the second half by Bukayo Saka secured England’s spot in the quarterfinals.
Peter Obi of the Labour Party said he would use Nigerian doctors if elected president, adding that available facilities would be improved to meet global standards.
Mr Abubakar of the Peoples Democratic Party, Mr Kwankwaso and Peter Obi of the Labour Party are among the presidential candidates taking part in today’s dialogue.
The incident was first reported by resident witnesses who said that the attackers had injured and shot the chief imam and one other worshipper during prayers.
Mr Falana argued that the Constitution requires Mr Buhari to present a Money Bill for the withdrawal of funds that will be used to print the recoloured notes