Saturday, August 22, 2026

Nigerian government accuses UN of stealing donations, threatens lawsuit

She stressed that the report must be submitted between October 16 and November 15 in order to avoid legal repercussions.

• October 16, 2023
Minister of women affairs, Uju Kennedy-Ohanenye and UN
Minister of women affairs, Uju Kennedy-Ohanenye and UN

Minister of women affairs, Uju Kennedy-Ohanenye, has given a 30-day ultimatum to the United Nations to provide a detailed account of all the funds received in Nigeria’s name from donors or face legal repercussions.

According to Ms Ohanenye’s outburst on AIT on Monday, the UN may have been embezzling donations from affluent individuals and organisations intended to combat poverty or cater to other unique needs of underprivileged Nigerians.

“I stand here as a minister of women affairs to demand from UN, all the UN; that we want account of all the money they sourced from donors in the name of Nigeria,” Ms Ohanenye passionately expressed. “We want to see the account of what they did with it and if you (UN) don’t give us this account, at least let Nigerians see what has been going on. Then you plead with them, apologise to them and change your ways.”

Ms Ohanenye said the nation is prepared to take legal measures to see that the UN complies with her demand for a comprehensive report outlining how funds have so far been obtained from donors and disbursed to Nigerians in need.

She stressed that the report must be submitted between October 16 and November 15 in order to avoid legal repercussions.

“From 16th of October to November 15th. If we don’t see these reports published for Nigerians to see, we are heading to court. From 16th of October to November 8, they get our pre-action letters,” Ms Ohanenye stressed on Monday.

“That is to prepare them on the 15th, we are heading to court. And I am promising Nigerians that immediately it is that 15th, by the next day, you will hear the suit number and all of you, we will gather to that place for the case to come on, and call for them to defend the money they are using you (Nigerians) to collect from donors.”

The report, if published, would show whether the funds sourced from generous donors have so far served their purpose or could corroborate Ms Ohanenye’s suggestions of corruption in the UN.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

MultiChoice

NationWide

EPL: GOtv, DStv subscribers decry activation delay

One of the subscribers, Abuja Streets (@abujastreets) wrote on X on Friday that the EPL resumed but subscribers were stranded.

President Donald Trump and Mark Carney

World

Carney vows retaliation as Trump govt slams fresh 50% tariffs on Canadian goods

Mr Trump set a deadline for negotiations, but negotiators said they had yet to reach an agreement.

Gunmen

States

Terrorists storm Niger mosque during prayers, abduct worshippers

The police said security operatives had been deployed to the area for assessment and rescue operations.

Abdulaziz Yari

Heading 2

2027: Ex-Zamfara governor Yari named APC campaign DG for Tinubu’s re-election

Muiz Banire will head the Legal Directorate, with Dr Liman Hassan and Babatunde Ogala as deputies.

George Buchi Nwabueze

Hot news Home top

Photo, details of Nwabueze Buchi George, coordinator of fresh fake agency ICPC uncovered in Tinubu’s govt

The Peoples Gazette’s check for Mr Nwabueze’s digital footprint showed he runs social media accounts and a website: Made in Nigeria.

Governor Agbu Kefas, Aisha Barde and others

States

Taraba govt unveils action plan to tackle climate change

Mr Kefas urged the federal government, the national council on climate change and other stakeholders to work with the state to implement the policy and action plan.