Nigerian national Ehis Lawrence Akhimie pleads guilty to defrauding 400 Americans of $6 million

A Nigerian national pleaded guilty recently to operating a transnational inheritance fraud scheme that defrauded elderly and vulnerable consumers across the United States.
On June 17, Mr Akhimie pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit mail and wire fraud. Mr Akhimie faces a maximum penalty of 20 years’ imprisonment.
According to court documents, Ehis Lawrence Akhimie, 41, was a member of a group of fraudsters that sent personalised letters to elderly victims in the United States for several years.
The letters falsely claimed that the sender was a representative of a bank in Spain and that the recipient was entitled to receive a multimillion-dollar inheritance left to them by a family member who had died overseas years prior.
Mr Akhimie and his co-conspirators allegedly told a series of lies to victims, including that, before they could receive their purported inheritance, they were required to send money for delivery fees, taxes, and other payments to avoid questioning from government authorities.
Mr Akhimie and his co-conspirators allegedly collected money that victims sent in response to the fraudulent letters through a complex web of U.S.-based individuals, whom the defendants convinced to receive money and forward it to the defendants or persons associated with them.
Victims who sent money never received any purported inheritance funds. In pleading guilty, Mr Akhimie admitted to defrauding over $6 million from more than 400 victims, many of whom were elderly or otherwise vulnerable.
“The Justice Department’s Consumer Protection Branch will continue to pursue, prosecute and bring to justice transnational criminals responsible for defrauding U.S. consumers, wherever they are located,” said assistant attorney general Brett Shumate, head of the Justice Department’s Civil Division.
This is the second indicted case related to this international fraud scheme. Seven other co-conspirators from the United Kingdom, Spain, and Nigeria have previously been convicted and sentenced in connection with this scheme.
On November 1, 2023, Ezennia Peter Neboh, who was extradited from Spain, was sentenced to 128 months of imprisonment. On October 20, 2023, another defendant, who was also extradited from Spain, Kennedy Ikponmwosa, was sentenced to 97 months in prison.
Three other defendants who were extradited from the United Kingdom also received prison sentences. Emmanuel Samuel, Jerry Chucks Ozor, and Iheanyichukwu Jonathan Abraham were sentenced to prison sentences of 82 months, 87 months, and 90 months, respectively, for their roles in the scheme.
Amos Prince Okey Ezemma was paroled into the United States from Nigeria and was sentenced in July 2024 to 90 months imprisonment for his role in the scheme.
On April 25, Okezie Bonaventure Ogbata, who was extradited from Portugal, was sentenced to 97 months of incarceration for his role in the scheme.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Showbiz
Angélique Kidjo becomes first African to receive star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame
Grammy Award-winning musician Angelique Kidjo has been honoured as the first African to receive a star on the prestigious Hollywood Walk of Fame.

Economy
Cement Price Hike: FCCPC reveals possible manipulation, summons companies
FCCPC has raised the alarm over what it described as possible manipulation of cement prices in Nigeria.

Showbiz
Netizens react as Asake flaunts multimillion-naira Louis Vuitton trunk
Netizens have reacted after Asake flaunted a trunk showcasing an ultra-luxury Louis Vuitton collection reportedly worth N93 million.

Health
Gwarzo council sponsors 20 women for free midwifery training
Gwarzo council area in Kano has sponsored 20 women for free midwifery training.

States
Kano govt urges residents to obtain permits before erecting buildings
KNUPDA has urged residents to obtain building permits before construction to prevent building collapse and protect lives and property.

Showbiz
Wande Coal, Davido clash over unreleased collaboration ‘Come My Way’
Wande Coal and Davido have clashed on social media over an unreleased collaboration, ‘Come My Way’.






