Nine killed as supporters of Senegalese opposition leader protest court ruling

Following the conviction of opposition leader Ousmane Sanko, nine people were reportedly killed during protests on Thursday in Dakar, capital of Senegal.
A Voice of America report on Friday, quoted the country’s Interior Minister, Antoine Diome, saying on national television that; “We have noted with regret violence that has resulted in the destruction of public and private property and, sadly, nine deaths in Dakar and Ziguinchor.”
Peoples Gazette on Thursday reported a court judgment in Senegal that jailed Mr Sanko for two years on charges of “corrupting youth”. The court also banned him from participating in the country’s presidential elections in 2024.
Mr Sanko, 48, had been accused of raping a 20-year-old massage parlour worker in 2021 and making death threats against her.
The court ruled and acquitted him on the charges of rape but convicted him for “corrupting youth”.
The leader of the PASTEF-Patriots party has maintained the charges were politically motivated since the allegations were first made in 2021.
He has been an outspoken critic of President Macky Sally and is widely viewed as Mr Sally’s most competitive opponent in the upcoming election.
Mr Sanko’s attorneys told reporters outside the court Thursday that the conviction was designed to prevent him from running against President Sall in 2024.
Earlier this week the popular opposition leader called for mass protests in response to the case brought against him.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Politics
Tinubu celebrates ex-military dictator IBB at 85
“But for his foresight, wisdom, and sense of equity and fairness, many states in the federation might not exist today,” Mr Tinubu reasoned.

Anti-Corruption
SEREC accountability in port charges, operational delays
SEREC has called for transparent port charges, accountable operators and a regulatory system where responsibility for delays follows the party that caused them.

Lagos
Badagry LG chairman distributes food palliatives to 500 widows
Mr Hunpe said the widows were selected randomly across the 10 wards of the local government.

NationWide
Customs hands over 399 seized rifles to arms control agency
Mr Adeniyi said officials seized the firearms during the inspection and documentation of a consignment at Tincan Island Port, Lagos.

States
New Edo assembly speaker suspends Agbebaku, majority leader over alleged corruption
Mr Idiaye, who represents Akoko Edo Constituency I, was elected the new speaker following Blessing Agbebaku’s resignation on Monday.

States
Regional development minister lauds NEDC projects in Borno
Minister of State for Regional Development, Uba Maigari Ahmadu, commended the North East Development Commission (NEDC) for ongoing projects in the region.






