Monday, August 17, 2026

Ondo senator’s aide resigns, cites paltry monthly salary of N20,000

He appreciated the senator for the opportunities given him to serve in his stewardship.

• July 2, 2025
Olajide Ipinsagba
Olajide Ipinsagba

Tunbosun Awe, an aide to the senator representing Ondo North Senatorial District in the National Assembly, Olajide Ipinsagba, has resigned from his appointment.

Mr Awe served as a ward liaison officer at Isowopo Ward II in Akoko North East Local Government Area of Ondo State to the senator until his resignation.

In his resignation letter, released publicly on Wednesday, the aide attributed his exit from the senator’s team to the paltry sum of N20,000 being paid as his monthly salary.

He noted in the copy of the letter received by Peoples Gazette that the monthly salary is no longer in line with the present economic realities in the country and is far below the national minimum wage bill passed by the National Assembly.

“This is sequel to the N20,000 monthly salary payment to me, which is against the present economic realities and a far cry from the national minimum wage of N70,000,” Mr Awe said.

The aide revealed in the resignation letter that he had sought an audience with the senator at intervals to request an upward review, but to no avail.

Mr Awe explained that his relationship with the Ondo senator started in 2006 at the birth of his senatorial ambition, where he first served as the secretary of Mr Ipinsagba’s campaign group.

According to him, he had also served as a personal assistant to the senator while the latter was special assistant to the government on industrialisation during the regime of the late former governor Olusegun Agagu.

“In addition, an audience had been sought with you at different intervals of the need to increase the pay, all to no avail. Especially, when it is fully established with you that N20,000 is the same amount you offered me as your personal assistant in 2007.

“Destiny brought us together in 2006, when your Senatorial bid was birthed with the caption, Concept 2007, while I served as the secretary of your campaign structure in Ondo North Senatorial District,” he added.

He appreciated the senator for the opportunities given him to serve in his stewardship.

When contacted, the spokesman for Mr Ipinsagba, Yinka Ajagunna, promised to get back to our reporter with detailed reactions regarding Mr Awe’s resignation.

However, Mr Ajagunna was yet to do so as of the time of this report.

Several calls to his official lines were no longer connecting.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Showbiz

Kamsy emerges third housemate evicted from BBNaija Season 11

Her departure came as a fresh reminder that popularity inside the house does not necessarily translate into enough public votes.

Sport

Cameroon beat Malawi 3-0 to win first WAFCON title

Cameroon thus became the fourth nation to win the WAFCON, joining record champions Nigeria, Equatorial Guinea and South Africa.

Alake at Nigeria Gold Day Celebration event

NationWide

Alake warns illegal operators against mining abandoned pits

The minister said the tragedy could have been averted if the illegal miners formed a cooperative and applied for the necessary permit.

States

Police arrest Kogi man for setting wife on fire

The state Commissioner of Police, Naziru Kankarofi, condemned the attack, describing it as “barbaric and unacceptable.”

Showbiz

Spider-Man: Brand New Day’ rakes $2 billion at global box office

Marvel and Sony’s “Spider-Man: Brand New Day” has grossed $2 billion at the global box office after only three weeks in theatres