One killed, 50 houses burnt over Gombe farmland
The Gombe government says a communal clash between Shongom and Filiya districts over farmland has left one person killed and over 50 houses burnt.
Gombe’s Commissioner of Information and Culture, Julius Ishaya, stated this at a briefing after a security council meeting.
The violent clash, which took place on Saturday, left one woman dead and property destroyed.
Mr Ishaya explained that the government condemned the attack and called on members of the affected communities to embrace peace while directing the immediate engagement of all stakeholders, led by the Mai Kaltungo, Saleh Mohammed, to find solutions and restore lasting peace in the affected areas.
“The council reiterated that the banning of militias or hunters’ groups still stands, and all security agencies have been alerted in that regard,” he said.
Adamu Dishi, the Commissioner of Internal Security and Ethical Orientation, said security operatives in the state had been directed to fish out those responsible for the clashes.
On his part, Mr Mohammed appealed for calm.
According to the police commissioner in Gombe, Ishola Babaita, police officers had peace had restored peace to the affected areas.
He confirmed the killing of a woman and destroyed property, saying the police will bring perpetrators to book.
More from Peoples Gazette
Sanwo-Olu has begun an investigation to ascertain the cause of Thursday’s gas explosion around Ogun State Property Investment Company (OPIC) Plaza in Ikeja.
A new UNICEF report says a large number of malnourished Nigerian children are suffering from multidimensional poverty.
President Muhammadu Buhari says he is committed to restoring peace to Borno, telling residents that he got over 90 per cent of votes in the state.
Governor Okezie Ikpeazu says killer herdsmen and unknown gunmen are Abia’s greatest challenge.
The police say it is “little violence” as Ibadan boiled on Thursday with two persons killed.