Over 1,700 British tourists who fell ill after trip to Cape Verde join lawsuit against travel firm

Over 1,700 British tourists, who fell ill during holidays in the Cape Verde islands, have joined a lawsuit against travel firm Tui.
Lawyers from Irwin Mitchell, leading the case, believe at least eight people have died after holidaying in the country. The firm had earlier reported six deaths since 2023.
They told the BBC that tourists who fell ill in Cape Verde, a popular holiday destination, around two weeks ago contacted them to join in the legal action.
According to the lawyers, tourists said they suffered illnesses such as cryptosporidium, E. coli, Salmonella, and Shigella, as well as parasitic infections. It said children as young as six months were also affected.
The firm said it had also gathered evidence of issues at some hotels.
“In all my years of doing this work, I have not seen a case this large and, unfortunately, so many that have died as a result of the illnesses,” Jatinder Paul, a lawyer from Irwin Mitchell solicitors, told BBC Breakfast, according to a report published on Tuesday.
Mr Paul said the firm was pursuing cases against the travel firm for failing in its responsibility to keep clients safe during their stay in the West African archipelago.
He added, “If we’re unable to resolve them amicably, we expect a judge in the High Court to make an order which would involve payment of millions of pounds worth of damages to our clients.”
The BBC said the footage showed undercooked food, buffets swarming with flies, and mould in the room.
It said 64-year-old Elena Walsh from Birmingham, who was on holiday in Cape Verde with her family through Tui, died in a hospital on August 10, 2025, after feeling unwell two days before.
“Through the night, we were there with her trying to see if she’d pull out of it, but she just deteriorated,” her son, Sean Walsh, told BBC Breakfast. “I just want people to not go there. Because, yes, people can go on holidays there and come back and be fine, but my mum didn’t.”
Another tourist, Karen Pooley from Lydney, died in October after a two-week trip to Cape Verde through the travel agency. Ms Pooley was said to have had gastric symptoms.
She died on October 16 from sepsis and multi-organ failure after being airlifted from a clinic in Cape Verde to Tenerife. Her daughter blamed Tui for Ms Pooley’s death.
Tui, which has taken over one million holidaymakers to Cape Verde since 2022, said in a statement that customers’ health and safety remained its priority.
Expressing sadness over the deaths, Tui said it was investigating the claims, saying it had yet to “have access to the full Cape Verde health report, which remains unpublished.”
The firm maintained that it had procedures for clients who fall ill during holidays and that such cases must be reported for support.
In February, the UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) warned Brits against travelling to the African country after dozens suffered stomach bugs during holidays.
The UKHSA said that since October 1, 2025, it identified 118 cases of Shigella and 43 of Salmonella linked to trips to Cape Verde. It said that while some recovered within a week, four died while holidaying there.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Africa
EU allocates €2.3 million to curb cholera outbreaks in Nigeria, Chad, Cameroon, CAR
The European Commission has allocated €2.3 million in emergency humanitarian funding to Nigeria, Cameroon, the Central African Republic and Chad to help contain cholera.

World
Doctors remove 3.1kg bladder stone from man in Sri Lanka
The surgery was performed on Friday, after which the bladder stone, also weighing as much as a newborn baby, was removed.

Anti-Corruption
Court jails two for illegal naira cash trading at Lagos event centre
The court sentenced two persons to six months’ imprisonment each after they pleaded guilty to unlawfully trading naira notes.

States
14 kidnap victims rescued in Katsina
Troops rescued six males and eight females abducted in Katsina State.

States
Police arrest suspected transformer vandal in Enugu
Police said the suspect was found unconscious with various degrees of injuries.

World
U.S. govt indicts 17 Iranians over cyber theft
Prosecutors said the suspects allegedly stole more than 31 terabytes of data from institutions across the U.S.






