Owo Massacre: Police arrest man over social media post accusing Ondo govt of abandoning victims

The police in Ondo have arrested a man over a social media post ridiculing the authorities for abandoning victims of the terrorist attack on the St. Francis Catholic church in Owo.
Oladotun Olorunfemi, who is being detained at the police headquarters in Akure, allegedly made a video insulting the Olowo of Owo, Ajibade Gbadegesin Ogunoye.
Mr Olorunfemi was arrested by the police on Monday after the slightly over two minutes video generated backlash on social media for the state government.
A source who craved anonymity confirmed the arrest to Peoples Gazette in Akure, stating that Mr Olorunfemi had spent over twenty hours in police detention without charge.
He said the detainee had before his arrest visited his sister, who was a victim of the attack, at the Federal Medical Centre (FMC) in Owo, and was upset with her condition.
The source said that Mr Olorunfemi must have been upset when he “saw the pitiable condition of the victims who had been abandoned to their fate in the hospital.”
He said the video resulted from him seeing the victims pay for drugs with their personal money “despite heavy donations by prominent people” and organisations.
In the video, a man was heard discussing how the victims had been using their funds to buy drugs despite government claims of donating drugs and money for their treatment.
The Gazette could not immediately verify the identities of those who appeared in the video footage which had been shared severally on social media platforms.
A message sent to the Ondo police command spokesperson, Funmilayo Odunlami, was not responded to at the time of publishing this story.
Terrorists had in June attacked the St. Francis Catholic church in Owo, killing over 40 worshippers and injuring dozens of parishioners during a Sunday service.
The terrorist attack on the church had been described as a “massacre” and drew condemnation from both local and international organisations.
The World Health Organisation (WHO) donated drugs, equipment, and consumables to the victims, and several individuals, mostly politicians, donated millions in cash.
Among them are the Nigerian Governors Forum; APC presidential candidate, Bola Tinubu; and the PDP presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar.
Also, the Ondo government had shortly after the attack opened an account for public donations to the victims of the church attack.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Politics
Oluyede visits Ekiti governor, pledges support for Tinubu’s re-election
Wole Oluyede, PDP governorship candidate in the June 20 election in Ekiti, has promised to work for the re-election of President Bola Tinubu in the 2027 presidential election.

States
Humanitarian Crisis: Borno secures €61 million for peacebuilding
Borno has secured about €61 million in new funding from the United Nations and development partners to strengthen peacebuilding and recovery efforts.

Economy
Kano to push for fair share of federal appointments, recruitments: SSG
The Kano government has reiterated its determination to earnestly pursue and fully utilise whatever is legitimately due to the state under the Federal Character principle.

Politics
Mutfwang condemns attack on Plateau community
Governor Caleb Mutfwang has condemned the attack on Bin-mper community in Mangu council area, describing it as barbaric and unacceptable.

Heading 3
Kwara senator Mustapha resigns from APC after losing governorship ticket
Saliu Mustapha, lawmaker representing Kwara Central in the Senate, has resigned from the All Progressives Congress after losing the governorship ticket to Salihu Yakubu-Danladi.

Economy
‘Civilisation isn’t excuse for stupidity’, netizens react after lady calls UBA chairman ‘Tony’
At the ceremony, which honoured 374 young professionals who completed the bank’s graduate programme, the lady addressed Mr Elumelu, saying, “Good morning, Tony.”






