Friday, August 21, 2026

Oyo Abduction: Freed teacher says terrorists released victims before security operatives arrived

Abducted on May 15, the Oyo schoolchildren and their teachers were freed on July 10, after 56 days in captivity.

• July 19, 2026
Released Oyo hostages
Rescued Oriire schoolchildren

Zacchaeus Olatunde, one of the victims of the Oyo mass school abduction, says they were released by their abductors, debunking claims that security forces rescued them.

Abducted on May 15, the Oyo schoolchildren and their teachers were freed on July 10, after 56 days in captivity.

Announcing their release, Bayo Onanuga, presidential spokesperson, said, “In the course of the rescue operation, eight of the kidnappers were arrested and are now in SSS custody, while some of them were neutralised.

“There was no quid pro quo in the rescue, as one of the terrorists, a kingpin that the kidnappers demanded his release, is being prosecuted for his atrocities. The security agencies will give a full account soon.”

However, in a phone interview with Nigeria Info FM aired on Friday, Mr Olatunde narrated what the 46 abducted schoolchildren and teachers experienced during 56 days in captivity by terrorists.

He said, “It is difficult to say on air, but I will just say what I can. When we were there, we were blindfolded, not an ordinary blindfold. We didn’t even know if we were in Nigeria or another country. We were just there. We were saying maybe the government had even forgotten us. 

“Until the last day when their commander came and was smiling and laughing and said we should thank God that we had been freed. The next thing they said was that we should open our eyes.”

The teacher said he was the last person released among the victims, adding that the commander of their abductors showed him the way out of the forest where they were kept. 

“When they released us, everybody had gone. They said I could not carry the handcuff home because the key had broken. One of them suggested they should cut off my hand, but another said no. They later used a small rope to remove the handcuff,” Mr Olatunde said. 

“Their commander called me back. He pointed a gun at me and said, ‘Come.’ I thought I was going to die because I was the only one left in the bush. He asked where I was going, and when I said I didn’t know, he showed me the correct route and told me to follow where the others had passed,” he added.

He said the terrorists also warned them against praying in Jesus’ name while they were in captivity, but fed them twice, in the morning and in the evening. 

“When we got there, they told us not to pray. After about a month, they allowed us to pray, but they warned us not to mention the name of Jesus and not to pray aloud,” Mr Olatunde said.

Meanwhile, shortly after the release of the schoolchildren and their teachers, Oyo Governor Seyi Makinde held a press conference in which he called on international bodies, including the United Nations, to investigate the abduction, establish the truth, identify lapses that occurred during the incident, and prevent a recurrence.

Mr Makinde said, “The circumstances surrounding this incident are sufficiently grey and unusual to warrant independent scrutiny beyond our domestic institutions.

“I therefore, with a full sense of responsibility, as the Executive Governor of Oyo State, call on the international human rights and accountability mechanisms, including those within the United Nations system, to closely examine the facts surrounding this abduction and the circumstances of its resolution.”

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

NationWide

How El-Rufai started rumour about me being Mossad agent: Donald Duke

“It was Nasir El-Rufai who started the rumours about me being Mossad, and I confronted him about it,” Mr Duke said.

Tinubu sitting with Atiku

Economy

Atiku advertising economic ignorance by pushing to restore fuel subsidy in Nigeria: Tinubu

“One of my opponents now says he will go back to subsidy. I read it. That is a demonstration of serious ignorance of governance and economy,” Mr Tinubu stated.

Biodun Oyebanji

Politics

Oluyede visits Ekiti governor, pledges support for Tinubu’s re-election

Wole Oluyede, PDP governorship candidate in the June 20 election in Ekiti, has promised to work for the re-election of President Bola Tinubu in the 2027 presidential election.

IPDs

States

Humanitarian Crisis: Borno secures €61 million for peacebuilding

Borno has secured about €61 million in new funding from the United Nations and development partners to strengthen peacebuilding and recovery efforts.

Kano governor

Economy

Kano to push for fair share of federal appointments, recruitments: SSG

The Kano government has reiterated its determination to earnestly pursue and fully utilise whatever is legitimately due to the state under the Federal Character principle.

Body bags used to illustrate this story (Credit: X)

Politics

Mutfwang condemns attack on Plateau community

Governor Caleb Mutfwang has condemned the attack on Bin-mper community in Mangu council area, describing it as barbaric and unacceptable.