Saturday, August 22, 2026

Oyo Abduction: Tinubu inherited security challenges from PDP govt, says Nuhu Ribadu 

He said the government is working to eliminate bandits and terrorists across the country.

• June 1, 2026
Nuhu Ribadu
Nuhu Ribadu [Credit: Nuhu Ribadu]

Nuhu Ribadu, the National Security Adviser, has said that President Bola Tinubu inherited schoolchildren abductions amongst others security challenges from past government of the Peoples Democratic Party. 

Mr Ribadu, who was a member the delegation sent to visit Oyo State ober the abduction of 46 schoolchildren and staff on Sunday, said schoolchildren abductions and other insecurity crisis rocking the country started two decades ago. 

“Mr President doing wonderful, strong things that will help us over come these challenges. Most of these things we inherited them. It is not today. These evil people have been with us for two decades or more,” Mr Ribadu said.

The NSA further assured Nigerians that the government is making efforts to flush out bandits and terrorists ravaging the country.

“We will defeat evil. We will never allow them. They are one their way out, I can assure you,” Mr Ribadu said.

Two decades ago, former President Goodluck Jonathan of the Peoples Democratic Party was in power. He was ousted from office by Mr Tinubu’ party man, late former President Muhammadu Buhari of the All Progressives in 2015. 

Since then, Mr Tinubu’s APC has been at the helm of affairs in the country.

Though mass abductions of schoolchildren predated Mr Tinubu’s presidency, starting with the 2014 kidnapping of Chibok schoolgirls in Borno under Mr Jonathan, the problem continued under Mr Buhari and has become a reoccurring issue under Mr Tinubu’s watch.

Last week, Peoples Gazette reported that almost 600 schoolchildren have been kidnapped in various coordinated mass abductions perpetrated by bandits and Boko Haram terrorists since Mr Tinubu assumed office three years ago.

Per reported cases, the number of schoolchildren and students abducted in the past three years under Mr Tinubu’s watch amounts to 597. This shows that an average of 199 students were abducted every year since Mr Tinubu assumed office.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

MultiChoice

NationWide

EPL: GOtv, DStv subscribers decry activation delay

One of the subscribers, Abuja Streets (@abujastreets) wrote on X on Friday that the EPL resumed but subscribers were stranded.

President Donald Trump and Mark Carney

World

Carney vows retaliation as Trump govt slams fresh 50% tariffs on Canadian goods

Mr Trump set a deadline for negotiations, but negotiators said they had yet to reach an agreement.

Gunmen

States

Terrorists storm Niger mosque during prayers, abduct worshippers

The police said security operatives had been deployed to the area for assessment and rescue operations.

Abdulaziz Yari

Heading 2

2027: Ex-Zamfara governor Yari named APC campaign DG for Tinubu’s re-election

Muiz Banire will head the Legal Directorate, with Dr Liman Hassan and Babatunde Ogala as deputies.

George Buchi Nwabueze

Hot news Home top

Photo, details of Nwabueze Buchi George, coordinator of fresh fake agency ICPC uncovered in Tinubu’s govt

The Peoples Gazette’s check for Mr Nwabueze’s digital footprint showed he runs social media accounts and a website: Made in Nigeria.