Oyo Abduction: Tinubu, other politicians like me busy with 2027 electioneering, says Peter Obi

Peter Obi, the presidential candidate of the Nigeria Democratic Congress, has admitted that he and other politicians are “consumed by the next election, paying far more attention to political ambitions than to the safety and well-being of our children and fellow citizens”. His statement came on the heels of the kidnapped Oyo pupils and teachers held hostage by terrorists.
Mr Obi, in a statement on his Z page on Monday, expressed “concerns about deteriorating security,” abduction of schoolchildren in Oyo and Borno states, in the country.
“Two weeks have passed since schoolchildren were kidnapped in Borno and Oyo states, yet they remain in captivity. Meanwhile, the government is promoting the formation of a thousand-member rescue team through the media while the children continue to suffer in the wilderness,” Mr Obi said. “Amid all these tragic developments, we politicians remain consumed by the next election, paying far more attention to political ambitions than to the safety and well-being of our children and fellow citizens.”
Highlighting some cases of killings and abductions in the country in recent weeks, Mr Obi said, “On Sunday, terrorists killed at least seven people and injured ten others in Gwon-Ajang Village, located in the Foron District of Barkin Ladi Local Government Area of Plateau state. In Kogi State, armed assailants kidnapped over 25 individuals and killed one resident during a coordinated raid on the Ayegunle-Igun Community in Kaba-Bunu Local Government Area.”
Mr Obi, who emerged as the NDC presidential candidate over the weekend, said, “The ongoing insecurity that endangers schoolchildren signifies a profound and serious challenge. Between 48 and 51 pupils and students in the Mussa Community (Askira-Uba Local Government Area) were abducted by suspected Boko Haram insurgents. The victims, who included young children from nursery classes as well as primary and secondary school students, were taken on May 15, 2026, and have now remained in captivity for two weeks.”
Two weeks after terrorists raided Esinele and Yawota communities in Orire council area and kidnapped 46 schoolchildren and teachers on May 15, President Bola Tinubu sent a delegation led by his chief of staff, Femi Gbajabiamila, to visit families of the abducted schoolchildren and teachers.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Heading 4
Turkey issues request to law enforcement agencies worldwide to arrest Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu
The minister of justice said the Israeli leaders were being tried in absentia.

NationWide
EPL: GOtv, DStv subscribers decry activation delay
One of the subscribers, Abuja Streets (@abujastreets) wrote on X on Friday that the EPL resumed but subscribers were stranded.

World
Carney vows retaliation as Trump govt slams fresh 50% tariffs on Canadian goods
Mr Trump set a deadline for negotiations, but negotiators said they had yet to reach an agreement.

States
Terrorists storm Niger mosque during prayers, abduct worshippers
The police said security operatives had been deployed to the area for assessment and rescue operations.

Heading 2
2027: Ex-Zamfara governor Yari named APC campaign DG for Tinubu’s re-election
Muiz Banire will head the Legal Directorate, with Dr Liman Hassan and Babatunde Ogala as deputies.

Hot news Home top
Photo, details of Nwabueze Buchi George, coordinator of fresh fake agency ICPC uncovered in Tinubu’s govt
The Peoples Gazette’s check for Mr Nwabueze’s digital footprint showed he runs social media accounts and a website: Made in Nigeria.






