Oyo police re-arrrest kidnap suspect who fled from custody

Operatives from the Ojongbodu Area Command, Oyo State, have re-arrested one Ayomide Kareem who escaped from police on March 10, 2026.
The spokesperson for the state police command, Ayanlade Olayinka, in a statement on Wednesday, stated that the 25-year-old suspect was nabbed for suspected kidnapping, adding that officers involved in his escape were now undergoing orderly room trial.
The command said, “On the 17th of March, 2026 at about 11:30 p.m., operatives attached to Ojongbodu Area Command, while on routine stop-and-search patrol at Irepo Junction, Ojongbodu area of Oyo, intercepted a suspicious individual observed trekking within the vicinity. The individual was promptly stopped and subjected to questioning.
“Upon interrogation, he was identified as one Ayomide Kareem, male, aged 25 years, of Osorun’s Compound, Oyo. Further checks confirmed that he is the same suspect who had earlier escaped from police custody at Jobele Division on the 10th of March, 2026 in connection with a case of suspected kidnapping. The suspect is currently in custody and assisting the police with ongoing investigations.”
Noting that the unprofessional conduct of the operatives involved—who had since been detained and undergoing orderly room trial prompted the Commissioner of Police, Femi Haruna, to order an intensive manhunt to ensure the prompt re-arrest of the suspect.
According to the command, the suspect’s earlier escape sparked protests in the community, prompting the initiation of a comprehensive disciplinary process against officers found wanting in the incident, “including the redeployment of the Divisional Police Officer (DPO), Jobele Division, alongside other administrative measures aimed at reinforcing accountability and professionalism within the Force.”
Assuring residents of the command’s commitment to the safety and security of all residents and vowing not relent in bringing perpetrators of crime to justice, Mr Haruna encouraged them to remain calm, law-abiding, and continue to support the police with credible and timely information.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Lagos
NEPA/PHCN retirees protest against non-payment of pension arrears, entitlements
Mr Dunmoye said the pensioners repeatedly engaged relevant authorities over the issues but had yet to get a satisfactory resolution.

States
Troops nab suspected gunrunner in Plateau
According to the army, the operation was carried out with vigilantes and local hunters.

Sport
Osimhen fires brace, assist as Galatasaray seal first victory of 2026/2027 campaign
Osimhen found the back of the net again in the 80th minute.

Heading 5
Arsenal beat Coventry City 3-0 in Premier League opener
Kai Havertz found the back of the net in the first 15 minutes of the game.

Africa
DR Congo’s Ebola death toll hits 2,500
He projected that the existing funds will be exhausted in weeks.

States
Troops rescue 43-year-old kidnap victim in Kaduna, kill terrorist in Sokoto
The spokesperson said that troops engaged the terrorists and forced them to withdraw in disarray.






