Peter Obi writes Bayo Onanuga, demands N5 billion in defamation charges for reckless comments

The 2023 Labour Party presidential candidate Peter Obi has asked President Bola Tinubu’s media aide, Bayo Onanuga, to retract accusations of anarchy against him.
Mr Obi, in a letter by his lawyer, Alex Ejesieme, referenced a tweet on Sunday in which Mr Onanuga claimed he was sponsoring planned nationwide protests against Mr Tinubu’s government to cause anarchy and unleash mayhem on the nation.
The former Anambra governor demanded a retraction, a letter of apology to be published in four newspapers and N5 billion as compensation for damages suffered.
Nigerians registered their displeasure with Mr Tinubu’s economic policies, which have impoverished citizens, caused rising inflation, and planned nationwide protests with several demands.
But Mr Onanuga alleged that Mr Obi was the brain behind the planned protests, saying it was his way of expressing grievances over his loss at the polls last year.
On July 20, Mr Onanuga labelled Mr Obi and his supporters anarchists who could not cope with their loss at the 2023 presidential polls and were looking for ways to destabilise Mr Tinubu’s leadership under the pretext of protests slated for August.
“REVEALED: Peter Obi’s supporters are the people planning mayhem in Nigeria: Obi should be held responsible for anarchy,” Mr Onanuga tweeted.
Denying the allegations, Mr Obi likened Mr Onanuga to a lady fool seeking souls to convert to his foolishness.
The former governor demanded N5 billion to compensate for the damage and embarrassment he suffered due to Mr Onanuga’s assertions.
“Our client denied the entirety of the falsehood contained in the said publication and insists that there is no modicum of truth in the allegations preferred against him in your published statement that has since gone viral on the Internet and other platforms,” Mr Ejesieme who is representing Mr Obi wrote in the suit filed on Monday.
The Labour candidate further demanded a retraction of the statement within 72 hours which he said must be published in four national newspapers.
Failure to accede to the demands, according to Mr Obi, would escalate into a lawsuit that might cause Mr Onanuga to be tried on the charges in “a court of competent jurisdiction.”
.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Lagos
Lagos police nab six over viral video of miscreants harassing motorists
Ms Adebisi said the command was already aware of the activities of the miscreants.

Heading 3
NYSC DG urges corps members to remain politically neutral, obey scheme rules
According to him, adherence to the core values of the scheme remains non-negotiable.

States
ADC cautions Jigawa government against unregulated mining
He warned that inadequate mining regulations could provide opportunities for bandits.

States
Enugu receives $125,000 U.S. grant for preservation of Lejja Iron-Smelting site
Mr Hudspeth said the grant is aimed at transforming and providing digital documentation of the site.

States
Tinubu urges Adeleke to promote unity, reconciliation in Osun
The president urged Mr Adeleke to focus on governance and improving the welfare of Osun residents.

Abuja
Mahmoud calls on churches, mosques to promote peace ahead of 2027 elections
Ms Mahmoud urged citizens to continue supporting and praying for Mr Tinubu.






