Wednesday, August 17, 2022

Philippines won’t rejoin International Criminal Court: President Marcos

Mr Duterte ordered the Philippines’ withdrawal from the ICC in March 2018.

• August 1, 2022
President Ferdinand Marcos Jr
President Ferdinand Marcos Jr

Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos said on Monday that the country will not rejoin the International Criminal Court (ICC).

The ICC was looking into reopening an investigation into his predecessor’s “war on drugs,” which has left thousands dead.

“The Philippines has no intention of rejoining the ICC,” he said. “I had a meeting with justice and foreign officials last week to discuss how the administration would respond to the international court.

He added, “The ICC wants to continue the investigation, but we’re telling them that we already have an ongoing investigation here at home, so why would there be a need for that.”

The ICC prosecutor requested in July to reopen the investigation into the killings attributed to the crackdown on illegal drugs under former president Rodrigo Duterte, and the court has given the Philippines until September 8 to comment on the plan.

The war on drugs was launched by Mr Duterte after he was elected president in 2016 on an anti-crime platform.

More than 7,000 people have been killed in police operations against illegal drugs in the Philippines in the past five years.

Human rights groups have alleged that the death toll could even be three times higher than that number.

Questions have also arisen about whether the suspects were extra judicially killed by police and whether some of those killed actually had any role in drug sales.

Mr Duterte ordered the Philippines’ withdrawal from the ICC in March 2018 after the country’s chief prosecutor announced a preliminary examination on the illegal drugs crackdown.

The withdrawal took effect on March 17, 2019. 

(dpa/NAN)

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

Rear Admiral Yaminu Musa

NationWide

Buhari appoints Yanimu Musa head of National Counter Terrorism Centre

Before his appointment, Mr Musa had been the Director of the Counter Terrorism Directorate in the ONSA since 2017.

Emmanuel Osodeke

Education

ASUU strike continues as Buhari regime fails to accede lecturers’ demands 

A top ASUU operative said the three-hour meeting ended without any commitment to resolving the issue by either parties.

INEC Photo (Credit: Punch Newspapers)

Politics

INEC redeploys two RECs, eight senior officials

The redeployed RECs according to Mr Okoye were Dr Cyril Omorogbe from Cross River to Akwa-Ibom; and Dr Alalibo Sinikiem from Edo to Rivers.

Muhammad Bello

Abuja

Abuja safest, most peaceful city in Nigeria: Minister

Mr Mohammed added that efforts being made by the FCTA to curb insecurity in Abuja were numerous.

Minister for Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, Hajiya Sadiya Umar Farouq.

States

We spend N24 billion annually on poverty alleviation schemes in Sokoto: Minister

“It is consistent with President Buhari’s deliberate National agenda of lifting 100 million Nigerians out of poverty in 10 years.”

Dollar and Naira

Economy

Naira loses value against dollar, exchanges at N430.67 at I&E window

The figure represented a decrease of 0.16 per cent compared with the N430 it exchanged for the dollar on Monday.