Pirates: Bonny residents take protest to Government House, State Assembly
![Bonny Protest. [CREDIT: Twitter]](https://gazettengr.com/wp-content/uploads/Bonny-Protest.jpg)
Indigenes of Bonny Local Government Area in Rivers State on Thursday staged a protest to the Government House and the Rivers State House of Assembly, demanding a secured Bonny waterways.
This comes a day after youth in the community organized a candlelight vigil for victims of sea pirates.
Peoples Gazette reported on Monday that fisher folks in the community are lamenting over the constant attacks by sea pirates with their boat engines worth N1.8 million and other valuables often carted away.
The Gazette on Tuesday reported that youth staged a protest to the palace of the community’s traditional ruler, and the Local Government council to tender their demands to the Chairman and the kinsmen.
While the 5-point demands were delivered to the traditional ruler, the chairman of the council, however, failed to show up, the Gazette learnt.
The protesters who assembled at UTC junction marched to the Government House, thereafter, to the House of Assembly, and to the Press Centre to tender their 5-point demands.
The Gazette learnt that the government assured the protesters their demands will be considered.
Tonye Pepple, one of the protesters said “we were received by the commissioner of youth at Government House, and a member representing the constituency separately at the House of Assembly,” and we were told, “our demands will be looked into.”
Ms. Pepple told the Gazette that the youth will return a week after if nothing is done about their demands and the kidnapped victims.
She sorrowfully pointed out that five men and an underage girl who had earlier been kidnapped is yet to be found.
The protesters’ 5-point demands include; profiling of all boat drivers plying the bonny route, placement of security gunboats on strategic places on the waterways, empowering of security personnel to secure the water, and compensation to all victims’ families, the Gazette reported.
Governor Wike in 2019 launched a special patrol team on land and waterways. But, this seems not to be enough as insecurity on the waterways is now on a rampage, the Gazette learnt.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

States
Continue to deliver good governance, Obasanjo tells Gov Adeleke
The former president urged Mr Adeleke to remain committed to good governance and delivering the dividends of democracy.

States
PHOTOS: Hundreds of civil servants storm Osun state secretariat to celebrate Adeleke’s re-election
Hundreds of civil servants occupied the main entrance to the Osun State government secretariat on Monday to welcome Governor Ademola Adeleke, after his re-election.

Politics
Edo assembly speaker Blessing Agbebaku resigns
Blessing Agbebaku, the speaker of the Edo State House of Assembly, has resigned.

Politics
Former presidential candidate says Osun election turning point for Nigeria’s democracy
Ex-presidential candidate Martin Onovo of the National Conscience Party has described the outcome of the Osun governorship election as a turning point for Nigeria’s democracy.

Economy
TAJBank’s profit before tax surges 74%, assets reach N1.34 trillion
TAJBank Limited, a non-interest bank, grew its profit before tax by 74 per cent year-on-year, reaching N31.562 billion for the 2025 financial year.

States
Police nab, arraign two Ogun men for assault
Two men, Shele Taiwo, 38, and Adeola Odunayo, 37, appeared before the Ota Magistrates’ Court in Ogun on Monday for assault.






