Police arrest 19 suspects in Ondo cult clash

About 19 suspects were apprehended in connection with the cult-related clash that occurred in the Owo Local Government Area of Ondo State on Monday.
Four persons, including a chieftain of the All Progressives Congress, Fisayo Oladipo, were killed during the violent cult clash in the town.
Sources told Peoples Gazette that Mr Oladipo, a former youth leader of the APC, was returning from a nightclub around 2:00 a.m., when the cult gang shot him dead.
Speaking on Tuesday, the newly deployed state Commissioner of Police, Wilfred Afolabi, revealed that investigation had commenced on the violent incident.
Mr Afolabi, who spoke to journalists during an on-the-spot assessment of the crime scene, lamented the killings during the cult clash in the town.
He said the suspects arrested were being profiled to ascertain their level of involvement in the dastardly act and killings.
“Those arrested are being investigated, and we will ensure they face the full weight of the law,” Mr Afolabi said.
The commissioner who visited places such as Eyin Ogbe, Ijebu Owo, Palace Area, among others, said that security agencies had been placed in different strategic locations to forestall any other attack and violent clash in the town.
He assured that the combined security agencies deployed to the town would also ensure the curfew declared by the state government was fully enforced.
Recall that Governor Lucky Aiyedatiwa on Monday ordered a dawn-to-dusk curfew in the town following the cult clash that has left four people dead.
Mr Aiyedatiwa, in a statement by his spokesman, Ebenezer Adeniyan, said all residents are to remain indoors during the curfew.
The governor asked security agencies to go after the perpetrators while also charging them to restore peace to the town.
The statement stated, “Due to the ongoing violent cult clashes and security disturbances in Owo which have led to loss of lives, the Governor of Ondo State, Hon Lucky Orimisan Aiyedatiwa, has ordered a dawn-to-dusk curfew in the town, till further notice. All residents are required to remain indoors during the curfew. Only essential services, such as hospitals, emergency services, and law enforcement, will be exempted from the curfew. The governor has also asked security agencies in the state to enforce the curfew, ensure safety of lives, property, arrest perpetrators of the violence and restore peace to the community.’’
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Heading 2
FBI announces recruitment exercise in U.S, other countriesÂ
Mr Rothrock said America needs help to sustain its national peace from home and around the world.

States
Troops foil mass abduction in ZamfaraÂ
The spokesman for the operation said the incident occurred on Sunday.

Heading 5
Obi demands compensation for victims of electoral violence, killings in Osun
The NDC chieftain stressed the need for a democracy where elections are conducted without violence.Â

Abuja
Nigeria’s capital city Abuja flooded, vehicles submerged as FCT residents accuse Wike of encroaching on green areas
According to Mr Olayinka, the FCT administration is working to improve the drainage system.Â

Heading 4
NFF sacks Super Falcons coach, technical team After WAFCON, World Cup qualification failures
Mr Madugu led the team to their 10th WAFCON title in July 2025.Â

Sport
Coventry City confirm signing of Taiwo Awoniyi from Nottingham ForestÂ
In 2022, Awoniyi signed with Nottingham Forest in a record fee worth €17.2 million.Â






