Police cite mayhem, vow to crush public protest marking #EndSARS anniversary

The Lagos police command has insisted on crushing the first-year #EndSARS anniversary demonstration from holding in the public, claiming faceless anti-#EndSARS elements have planned to unleash mayhem.
This is contained in a statement signed by its spokesperson, Adekunle Ajisebutu.
“The police will only allow an indoor and virtual event in commemoration of the #EndSARS anniversary and will provide adequate security at the venue(s) if known. This is in recognition of the rights of every Nigerian to express his or her interest,” said the statement issued on Wednesday night.
The police claimed they would have granted permission for the demonstration to hold, but “intelligence at our disposal has revealed plans by some faceless groups or individuals” to stage an anti-#EndSARS anniversary protest in the state the same day.
“In view of the conflicting interest between the pro and anti-#EndSARS anniversary groups and threat to cause mayhem,” the police explained, “the command once again warns both groups against any form of street protest between now and October 20, 2021, and beyond.”
The command said although the citizens have the right to peaceful protests for public safety, the protest should be shelved, adding that its “critical security assessment and intelligence report” revealed that it would be inappropriate to allow the protests to hold.
On Friday, Nigerian rapper Folarin ‘Falz’ Falana and comedian Debo Adebayo (Mr Macaroni) announced a memorial car procession to mark the one-year anniversary of the #EndSARS protest.
Human rights activist Femi Falana and civil society groups condemned the attempt by the police to clamp down on protesters.
Last week, the police in Lagos threatened to use “all legitimate means” to quell the planned #EndSARS anniversary protest in the state.
“To forestall breakdown of law and order, the police will use all legitimate means within their constitutional powers to suppress the planned protest,” the police had warned.
In 2020, the #EndSARS protests were held nationwide between October 8 and 20, calling for an end to police extortion, brutality, and extrajudicial killings, especially by the disbanded Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS).
The protest, which started peacefully, led to the disbandment of SARS by the federal government, but hoodlums took advantage of the demonstration to unleash violence, and also loot and destroy private and public facilities.
The protest was brought to a halt on October 20 when soldiers stormed the Lekki tollgate to disperse protesters fired shots that left several people killed and injured.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

States
14 kidnap victims rescued in Katsina
Troops rescued six males and eight females abducted in Katsina State.

States
Police arrest suspected transformer vandal in Enugu
Police said the suspect was found unconscious with various degrees of injuries.

World
U.S. govt indicts 17 Iranians over cyber theft
Prosecutors said the suspects allegedly stole more than 31 terabytes of data from institutions across the U.S.

States
Gov Alia nominates six new commissioners, seeks Benue assembly’s approval
The governor said the nominations were intended to strengthen the state executive council by filling existing vacancies and replacing outgoing members.

Heading 1
Nigeria should remain designated ‘country of particular concern’, Tinubu allowing slaughtering of Christians: U.S. Lawmaker
“Do not remove the CPC designation for Nigeria. They have not done near enough to protect Christians! They continue to get slaughtered,” Mr Moore said.

NationWide
Tinubu pledges peaceful campaign ahead of 2027 elections
“Let us remember that elections are not a do-or-die affair. We are partners in the project of nation-building,” he said.






