Prince Harry, Meghan to make unofficial visit to Nigeria: Envoy

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, Prince Harry and his wife, Meghan, have agreed to visit Nigeria on the invitation of the country’s Chief of Defence Staff, Gen. Christopher Musa.
British High Commissioner in Nigeria, Dr Richard Montgomerry, disclosed this in an interview with journalists in the course of his courtesy visit to the managing director of the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), Ali M. Ali in Abuja.
“It’s great that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex are visiting Nigeria, which I understand is at the invitation of Defence Headquarters.
“But they are visiting in a private capacity, not an official one.
“So, the British High Commission is not involved in arranging or facilitating their programme.
“They are not representing the work of His Majesty’s Government on this visit.”
Mr Harry is expected to kick off the journey on May 8 by attending the 10th anniversary celebration of the Invictus Games at St. Paul’s Cathedral in London.
Shortly after, Ms Meghan will join him in Nigeria for a series of engagements aimed at fostering cultural exchange and celebrating the spirit of resilience among service members.
The couple’s itinerary includes visits to military rehabilitation centres, sports facilities, and meetings with local organisations working to support veterans’ welfare.
They will also attend cultural events and engage in discussions with community leaders on topics.
The trip to Nigeria holds special significance as it highlights Mr Prince Harry’s dedication to the Invictus Games, an international sporting event for wounded, injured, and sick servicemen and women.
Last year’s Invictus Games in Germany saw the participation of 500 athletes from 21 countries.
Nigeria, Colombia, and Israel were represented, and it marked their debut in the event.
Nigeria’s minister of defence, Abubakar Badaru, has expressed eagerness to host the games in the future, further solidifying the country’s commitment to promoting inclusivity and sportsmanship.
During their time at the Invictus Games in Germany, Ms Meghan and Mr Harry shared memorable moments with Team Nigeria, showcasing their support and camaraderie.
In a lighthearted exchange, Mr Harry joked about the friendly competition between him and Ms Meghan, especially since she discovered her Nigerian heritage.
MS Meghan’s connection to Nigeria runs deep, as she revealed on her podcast Archetypes that she has Nigerian ancestry, with her genealogy test showing she is 43 Nigerian.
The revelation further strengthens the bond between the Duchess and the Nigerian people, fostering a sense of shared identity and belonging.
(NAN)
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

NationWide
How El-Rufai started rumour about me being Mossad agent: Donald Duke
“It was Nasir El-Rufai who started the rumours about me being Mossad, and I confronted him about it,” Mr Duke said.

Economy
Atiku advertising economic ignorance by pushing to restore fuel subsidy in Nigeria: Tinubu
“One of my opponents now says he will go back to subsidy. I read it. That is a demonstration of serious ignorance of governance and economy,” Mr Tinubu stated.

Politics
Oluyede visits Ekiti governor, pledges support for Tinubu’s re-election
Wole Oluyede, PDP governorship candidate in the June 20 election in Ekiti, has promised to work for the re-election of President Bola Tinubu in the 2027 presidential election.

States
Humanitarian Crisis: Borno secures €61 million for peacebuilding
Borno has secured about €61 million in new funding from the United Nations and development partners to strengthen peacebuilding and recovery efforts.

Economy
Kano to push for fair share of federal appointments, recruitments: SSG
The Kano government has reiterated its determination to earnestly pursue and fully utilise whatever is legitimately due to the state under the Federal Character principle.

Politics
Mutfwang condemns attack on Plateau community
Governor Caleb Mutfwang has condemned the attack on Bin-mper community in Mangu council area, describing it as barbaric and unacceptable.






