Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Protest: Niger governor bans residents from mass purchase of food item 

Mr Bago blamed the hike in the prices of food items on traders storming local markets to mop up grains and convey them to neighbouring states.

• February 6, 2024
Governor Mohammed Bago, market
Governor Mohammed Bago, market

Amid the current economic hardship and rising inflation, Governor Mohammed Bago of Niger State has banned the mass purchase of food items at local markets by traders from other states. 

The ban came after residents flooded the streets of the state capital, Minna, to protest over the biting hardships and rising cost of living in the country.

Mr Bago blamed the hike in the prices of commodities, particularly food items, on traders who stormed local markets to mop up grains and convey them to neighbouring states. 

He said the traders who usually come with heavy trucks to the local markets have made the food items scarce, thereby making life more difficult for the state’s residents. 

“I have decided to issue an executive order effective today to stop food speculators from invading our local markets to mop up our farm produce to other states and neighbouring countries, thereby making things difficult for people of the state and Nigeria as a whole.

“By this order, any truck found in any rural market coming to load food supplies in bulk will be confiscated, and the produce will be auctioned out immediately,” Mr Bago said. 

The governor, however, attributed the protest by the residents to the wrong information that the government planned to hoard the food items meant for palliatives.

On Monday, the state’s residents had trooped out to protest the rising cost of food items by blocking some trucks on transits through the state capital, Minna.

Lamenting how difficult it had been to survive with the high cost of goods, the protestors, mostly youths and women, said the economy was getting worse under the watch of President Bola Tinubu. 

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Humberto Bettencourt

Sport

Cape Verde appoint Humberto Bettencourt as new head coach

Bettencourt’s new role comes after six years working alongside Bubista.

Governor Dikko Radda

States

Gombe govt approves N260 million for relocation of grain market

According to him, moving the grain market to Dukku Road is expected to reduce traffic congestion.

NAPTIP

Rights

NAPTIP seeks media, government agencies’ collaboration to end SGBV in Nigeria

Ms Bello said SGBV remained one of the most common human rights violations in Nigeria.

Ngock, Chawinga, Bihina, Dafeaur among top 10 stars at 2026 WAFCON

Sport

FULL LIST : FIFA names Ngock, Chawinga, Bihina, Dafeaur among top 10 stars at 2026 WAFCON

Ngock was named Player of the Tournament following Cameroon’s historic victory against Malawi.

Ifeanyi-Chukwuma Odii

States

Ebonyi: PDP governorship candidate urges residents to embrace peace ahead of 2027 elections 

The governorship candidate stressed that political differences should not be allowed to degenerate into violence.