Putin, Xi assured me they won’t sell weapons to Iran: Trump

President Donald Trump has said his Russian and Chinese counterparts, Vladimir Putin and Xi Jinping, promised that their countries would not supply weapons to Iran.
Mr Trump, in a statement on his Truth Social platform, expressed confidence that leaders would honour their commitments.
“Two major countries that people speak of often in terms of Iran are, in my opinion, not participating,” he stated. “If they did, it would be very bad for them. Certainly not in their best interests.”
Mr Trump noted that Mr Xi assured him during their recent meeting in Beijing, adding that the leader pledged not to participate in the war or provide military equipment to Iran.
“President Xi, at our recent meeting in Beijing, China, told me that he would not, under any circumstances, give or sell Weapons to the Islamic Republic of Iran. Considering our relationship, I take him at his word and, besides, I am doing him very big favours, also,” he added.
Mr Trump, who noted that Mr Putin had made a similar promise despite the ongoing war in Ukraine, said the Russian president understood that the U.S. sells weapons to NATO allies rather than directly to Ukraine.
“Likewise, President Putin, despite the horrible war going on in Ukraine (the relationship remains, as it does with President Zelenskyy), told me that he would not sell Weapons to Iran.
“He understands that I do not sell Weapons to Ukraine, but to NATO countries. They pay full price, and how those Weapons are distributed, I have no idea,” he added.
Mr Trump’s statement came amid war with Iran and a warning that any country that sells arms to Iran would face dire consequences.
His warning followed reports that Russia or China might have shared targeting intelligence with Iran after recent attacks on U.S. military installations in the region.
Meanwhile, U.S. War Secretary Pete Hegseth said last Tuesday that America had so far spent nearly $37.5 billion on the war in Iran.
“The estimate we have as of today is $37.5 billion,” Mr Hegseth said when asked by Democratic Senator Dick Durbin how much the war had cost the U.S.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

States
Gaya emirate emir backs fight against drug abuse
The emir added that the council also introduced drug screening for individuals being considered for appointments within the emirate.

World
EU leaders back ICC after U.S. slams sanctions on two senior officials
They added that ICC judges and officials must be allowed to perform their duties independently and without external pressure.

Sport
WAFCON: Stakeholders seek overhaul of Nigerian footbal administration as NFF sacks Madugu
Mr Adejumo said, “If the NFF sacks the technical crew, who will sack the NFF itself.”

Heading 5
2027: Okorocha sues INEC, APC for recognising Gov. Uzodimma as Imo West senatorial district candidate
The originating summons, filed on August 13, is marked FHC/ABJ/CS/1854/2026.

States
NYSC DG tasks corps members on responsible social media use
The DG noted that technology had made it increasingly difficult to distinguish between genuine and fabricated materials.







