Red-list Countries: Premier League stops Salah, other players from international matches

English Premier League clubs say they will not release players for international matches played in red-list countries next month.
One African football star affected is Egypt’s Liverpool player Mohammed Salah.
The clubs’ decision, supported by the Premier League, will apply to nearly 60 players from 19 clubs in the UK who are due to travel to 26 red-list countries in the September international window.
This followed FIFA’s current position not to extend its temporary release exception for players required to quarantine on their return from international duty.
Extensive discussions have taken place with the English FA and the UK government to find a solution, “but due to ongoing public health concerns relating to incoming travellers from red-list countries, no exemption has been granted.”
“If required to quarantine on return from red list countries, not only would players’ welfare and fitness be significantly impacted,” said the FA. “But they would also be unavailable to prepare for and play in two Premier League match rounds, a UEFA club competition matchday and the third round of the EFL Cup.”
It added that the period took into consideration 10 days of hotel quarantine on return to England “but does not include any additional time that would be required for players to regain match fitness.”
Premier League chief executive Richard Masters further explained, “Premier League clubs have always supported their players’ desires to represent their countries – this is a matter of pride for all concerned. However, clubs have reluctantly but rightly come to the conclusion that it would be entirely unreasonable to release players under these new circumstances.
“Quarantine requirements mean that players’ welfare and fitness will be significantly impacted. We understand the challenges that exist in the international match calendar and remain open to workable solutions.”
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Hot news Home top
‘This is probably my last year of football,’ says Ronaldo
“This is probably my last year of football, and I want to leave a spectacular legacy,” said Ronaldo.

Politics
Former military dictator IBB ‘father of Abia state’, says Otti
Governor Alex Otti congratulated former military dictator Ibrahim Babangida on his 85th birthday, describing him as the ‘Father of Abia state’.

Economy
Iran War: Trump threatens to bomb Oman over Strait of Hormuz
President Donald Trump threatened to bomb Oman in the Middle East if it “gets in the way” of its deal between the United States and Iran over the Strait of Hormuz.

World
Thousands keep vigil to mourn Jason Arday
Thousands of people gathered on Monday at a vigil in Trafalgar Square for Jason Arday, a 41-year-old Cambridge University professor who died amid allegations of plagiarism.

Africa
Ebola outbreak becomes deadliest in DR Congo’s history
WHO says Ebola Bundibugyo outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo is now the deadliest the country has ever faced.

Economy
Abia tax reform targets efficiency, says commissioner
The Abia government says its tax reforms are designed to improve transparency, accountability and efficiency in revenue collection.






