Retired soldiers shut down finance ministry over unpaid entitlements

A group of retired army personnel on Monday besieged the headquarters of Nigeria’s Ministry of Finance in Abuja to demand the payment of their entitlements, including gratuities, Security Debarment Allowance (SDA), and withheld salaries.
The ex-servicemen voluntarily resigned from the Nigerian Army between the third and fourth quarters of 2023 and were disengaged in July 2024.
During the protest, the retired military men who identified themselves as members of the “Voluntarily Discharged Soldiers of the First and Second Quarters of 2024” blocked the entrance of the ministry as early as 7:00 a.m., preventing officials from accessing the premises.
Many protesters appeared in military camouflage, chanting solidarity songs and holding placards that bore messages of frustration over what they described as years of institutional neglect.
The demonstration grounded all activities at the ministry throughout Monday morning and into the afternoon, with staff stranded outside the gates and senior officials forced to initiate emergency talks with the protesters.
They accused the Military Pensions Board of abandoning their case and hiding behind technicalities to evade responsibility. They said the board also claimed veterans were not entitled to the new national minimum wage adjustments, citing their disengagement date of July 1, 2024, as the basis.
“Our disengagement was done formally through the system, yet they’re now telling us we’re not entitled to minimum wage adjustments or palliatives because we left in July,” one of the protesting soldiers, Sergeant Idris Usman (rtd), told Peoples Gazette.
The protesters listed multiple grievances, including non-payment of statutory gratuities, Security Debarment Allowance, parking allowances, and the federal government’s recent wage award, which they said had been selectively disbursed.
Also, Corporal Ekene Okwara (rtd) said, “We are not asking for favours. We are demanding what we are owed. We put in our time and service. Some of us were in conflict zones for years. Now we’re left with nothing to show for it.”
Mr Okwara added, “They keep telling us to be patient, but we’ve been patient since our disengagement in 2024. How long do they want us to wait?”
Attempts to mediate the protest fell flat after a senior military officer, identified by protesters as an air vice marshal, arrived at the scene to plead with the veterans. The ex-servicemen rejected the appeals and insisted they would not vacate the entrance until their demands were formally acknowledged and timelines for payments provided.
Personnel from the Nigerian Army and other security forces had since been deployed to the ministry’s premises to ensure the protest remained peaceful and to forestall any escalation. No violence or altercation was reported.
Neither the Ministry of Finance nor the Military Pensions Board has issued any statement on the protest or the status of the retirees’ entitlements.
This latest demonstration adds to a growing list of protests by retired military personnel in Nigeria who have, over the years, accused the federal government of repeatedly neglecting their welfare. In March 2023, a similar protest at the Defence Headquarters was sparked by demands for pension harmonisation and unpaid medical benefits.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

States
14 kidnap victims rescued in Katsina
Troops rescued six males and eight females abducted in Katsina State.

States
Police arrest suspected transformer vandal in Enugu
Police said the suspect was found unconscious with various degrees of injuries.

World
U.S. govt indicts 17 Iranians over cyber theft
Prosecutors said the suspects allegedly stole more than 31 terabytes of data from institutions across the U.S.

States
Gov Alia nominates six new commissioners, seeks Benue assembly’s approval
The governor said the nominations were intended to strengthen the state executive council by filling existing vacancies and replacing outgoing members.

Heading 1
Nigeria should remain designated ‘country of particular concern’, Tinubu allowing slaughtering of Christians: U.S. Lawmaker
“Do not remove the CPC designation for Nigeria. They have not done near enough to protect Christians! They continue to get slaughtered,” Mr Moore said.

NationWide
Tinubu pledges peaceful campaign ahead of 2027 elections
“Let us remember that elections are not a do-or-die affair. We are partners in the project of nation-building,” he said.






