Saudi group submits £2.7 billion bid for Chelsea

Saudi Media Group has launched a £2.7 billion bid for Premier League club Chelsea.
The West-London side was put up for sale after the UK government sanctioned owner Roman Abramovich over his links to Russian President Vladimir Putin.
English FA on Saturday confirmed that they had suspended Abramovich as director of the club.
However, the recent days have seen several parties publicly indicating interest in buying the club after an embattled Abramovich made public his intention to sell the club in the wake of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.
The West London club is keen to find a new owner in the midst of a budget crisis, with the British government dictating their finances in the aftermath of sanctions imposed on Mr Abramovich.
Mohamed Alkhereiji, leader of the private consortium’s making the bid is said to be a Chelsea fan, and his bid has no direct links to the Saudi government.
The Blues are currently operating under a special license, which significantly restricts their financial streams, and jersey sponsors Three have halted their £40 million-per-year deal.
The bid comes as Saudi billionaires continue to invest heavily in English football.
Recall that Newcastle United were recently purchased by a consortium fronted by the Saudi Arabian Public Investment Fund.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Politics
‘I hereby endorse Tinubu for second term in 2027 presidential election,’ Gov Adeleke declares
“My support is just based on the fact that he is a Yoruba man and he’s from the South-West…I will go all out for President Tinubu in 2027,” said Governor Ademola Adeleke.

States
Gov Idris drops Abubakar-Tafida, picks ex-finance commissioner as running mate
Governor Nasir Idris has replaced his deputy, Umar Abubakar-Tafida, with ex-finance commissioner Ibrahim Muhammad-Augie as his running mate for the 2027 governorship election.

Opinion
Osun election shows all is not fair in Nigerian politics
The Osun governorship election has now provided an important measure of where Nigeria stands.

States
14 kidnap victims rescued in Kogi, Plateau operations: Army
The troops had launched a search-and-rescue operation after the victims were kidnapped on Tuesday.

States
19-year-old girl under pressure to start having children allegedly steals newborn baby
According to the police, the suspect was under pressure to have a child, as some of her peers had already given birth.

Politics
Makinde congratulates Adeleke, urges INEC to conduct credible 2027 elections
The off-cycle election is a litmus test for the 2027 general election, according to Mr Makinde, who urged the commission not to let Nigerians down in 2027.






