Sunday, August 23, 2026

Sean “Diddy” Combs bags over four-year jail term for prostitution 

The judge stated that Mr Combs’ commercial sex acts provided him sexual gratification instead of money.

• October 4, 2025
Sean Combs
Sean Combs[Credit: The New York Times]

A New York court in the United States of America has sentenced American hip-hop singer, Sean “Diddy” Combs, to 50 months in jail, fined him $500,000, and ordered five years of supervised release, for sex-related crimes.

Judge Arun Subramanian, on Friday, sentenced Mr Combs on two counts of transportation of women for prostitution, just four months after a jury acquitted him of racketeering and sex trafficking charges on July 2, 2025.

The judge said there was “massive” amounts of evidence and the length of the conduct being over a decade, warranted the significant sentence to serve as deterence for Mr Combs, who also apologised in court to his victim, admitting that his actions were “disgusting, shameful and sick.”

Stating that Mr Combs’ commercial sex acts provided him sexual gratification instead of money, the judge noted that it did decrease the severity of his actions, adding that he was unonvinced the rapper wouldn’t repeat the crimes if released.

The judge also rejected the defence counsel’s claim that the relationship between Mr Combs and ex-girlfriend Casandra Ventura, a popular singer known as Cassie, as well as a testifier under the name “Jane,” were intimate and consensual.

According to the court, the two offences by the rapper, contravene the U.S. “Mann Act,” which criminalises transporting people across state lines for sex work.

Responding to the judge’s condemnation of his physical assault on his ex-girlfriend in a hotel room, which was caught on camera, Mr Combs said, “I know I’ll never put my hands on another person again.”

The judge also noted that both women suffered trauma that would haunt them during their lifetime, Judge Subramanian said, “You abused them, physically, emotionally and psychologically,” adding, “You had the money and the power to keep it going. This was subjugation.”

The judge therefore found him guilty of flying his former girlfriends and male sex workers, across the U.S. to engage in prostitution, which the singer termed “freak-offs.”

Although posecutors prayed the court to jail him for over 11 years, the singer’s counsel pleaded for only a 14-month sentence, which would have equaled the period he had already spent in detention.

However, 55-year-old Combs who had been in custody since September 2024, will receive credit for over a year he has already served.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

PRESIDENT BOLA AHMED TINUBU

NationWide

2027: Muslim clerics urge Nigerians to vote for Tinubu

Mr Darma described the endorsement as the resolution of the meeting.

Firefighters in Nigeria

States

FFS saves N400 million property in Kano market fire

The controller urged the public to ensure that solar installations were carried out by qualified personnel.

States

Kogi police boss urges youths to reject political violence, digital thuggery

The commissioner described youths as critical partners in building a safer society.

Ngozi Olejeme and Betta Edu

NationWide

Ngozi Olejeme, Betta Edu: Tinubu’s campaign council rehab for fraud-tainted politicians, ADC says

The ADC argued that the 2027 election will be a referendum on Mr Tinubu’s record.

Abdulaziz Yari

NationWide

Matawalle hails Yari’s appointment as Tinubu campaign council DG

He expressed confidence in their ability to deliver Mr Tinubu and the APC in the forthcoming elections.

States

Troops kill one IPOB member in Anambra, recover explosive devices

Troops raided IPOB and ESN stronghold in Ogbaru Local Government Area of Anambra State and killed one of their members.