Seun Egbegbe retakes $90,000, £12,550 as he is freed from Ikoyi prison

Nollywood actor Olajide Kareem popularly known as Seun Egbegbe has been released from the Ikoyi Correctional Centre following a court judgement in his favour.
Spokesman of the Nigeria Correctional Service in Lagos, Rotimi Oladokun, confirmed the release to Peoples Gazette on Wednesday.
The Lagos Division of the Federal High Court in Ikoyi had on Tuesday convicted the filmmaker on one out of the 44-count charge preferred against him.
On count 19, the court sentenced him to 7 years imprisonment ‘with hard labour’ which deem to already have been served since he had been remanded in prison since February 10, 2017.
The court also also ruled that monies seized from the filmmaker– $90,000 and £12,550– be returned back to him since there was no evidence that they were proceeds of crime.
The judge said that the prosecuting team failed in their responsibility to produce evidence, to be backed with witnesses on counts 4, 19 and 21.
The Lagos socialite known for his lavish lifestyle, was arrested for fraud. The police alleged that he swindled 40 Bureau De Change operators in Lagos between 2015 to 2017. They said he obtained the money fraudulently by deceiving the BDC operator that he wanted to change his naira notes to hard currencies.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Heading 2
FBI announces recruitment exercise in U.S, other countries
Mr Rothrock said America needs help to sustain its national peace from home and around the world.

States
Troops foil mass abduction in Zamfara
The spokesman for the operation said the incident occurred on Sunday.

Heading 5
Obi demands compensation for victims of electoral violence, killings in Osun
The NDC chieftain stressed the need for a democracy where elections are conducted without violence.

Abuja
Nigeria’s capital city Abuja flooded, vehicles submerged as FCT residents accuse Wike of encroaching on green areas
According to Mr Olayinka, the FCT administration is working to improve the drainage system.

Heading 4
NFF sacks Super Falcons coach, technical team After WAFCON, World Cup qualification failures
Mr Madugu led the team to their 10th WAFCON title in July 2025.

Sport
Coventry City confirm signing of Taiwo Awoniyi from Nottingham Forest
In 2022, Awoniyi signed with Nottingham Forest in a record fee worth €17.2 million.






