Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Shutdown of telecoms services in Zamfara not from us: Pantami

Minister Pantami said telecoms networks were shut down at the instance of the security agencies and not the making of the Buhari regime.

• September 8, 2021
Telecoms mast, Pantami
A composite of telecoms mast, Pantami used to illustrate the story

Communications minister Isa Pantami on Wednesday said that the shutdown on telecommunications services in Zamfara State was at the instance of the security agencies and not the federal government.

Mr Pantami disclosed this to journalists at the presidential villa on Wednesday, exonerating the President Muhammadu Buhari regime from the blackout that has been heavily criticised by Nigerians.

“I am aware of the shutting down, but the request is not from us. Rather, the request is from the security institutions, in which they asked for that as part of their strategy.  

“Because of this, government allowed them to go ahead and even that one, the reason for doing that I may be aware of some, but I’m sorry to say it’s not for public discussion,” Mr Pantami said.

Peoples Gazette had on Friday reported that the shutdown could spark concerns about the safety of citizens across the state, and whether or not the administration has powers to deprive millions of citizens of their rights to communicate and access information.

However, the minister said that the federal government only granted the request because it came from the security agencies.

Refusing to disclose the reason for the shutdown, the minister said that the Buhari regime was ready to sacrifice economic gains in the telecoms sector for better security.

The minister also asked Nigerians to give security agencies a benefit of doubt whenever they come up with strategies to battle insecurity.

He explained that security agencies were privy to information that is not in the public space.

The government on Friday ordered all telecom networks operating in Zamfara to shut down operations forthwith as security forces ramped up crackdown on the re-emerging upsurge of armed banditry ravaging the state and its environs.

Telecoms regulator NCC in a directive to mobile network carriers said all telecom masts should be demobilised across the beleaguered state and in neighbouring communities where signals from masts could be beamed into Zamfara.

The shutdown of telecom signals came days after Governor Bello Matawalle banned transportation of food items and restricted the movement of commercial motorcycles between 6:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. The governor also placed a moratorium on the transportation of petrol and other fuels in Zamfara.

Mr Matawalle, who had previously sought a truce with bandits and urged Nigerians to show them love and encourage them to eschew their criminal lifestyles, has recently lamented that bandits who had previously turned themselves in and promised cessation of hostilities have been returning to their criminal past.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Thousands at jason ardy vigil

World

Thousands keep vigil to mourn Jason Arday

Thousands of people gathered on Monday at a vigil in Trafalgar Square for Jason Arday, a 41-year-old Cambridge University professor who died amid allegations of plagiarism.

Ebola clinic in DRC

Africa

Ebola outbreak becomes deadliest in DR Congo’s history

WHO says Ebola Bundibugyo outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo is now the deadliest the country has ever faced.

Otti signing document

Economy

Abia tax reform targets efficiency, says commissioner

The Abia government says its tax reforms are designed to improve transparency, accountability and efficiency in revenue collection.

Naira Marley and Buba Marwa

States

NDLEA vows to crush drug cartels in Nigeria

The chairman of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency, Buba Marwa, has vowed to sustain the agency’s crackdown on drug cartels.

Governor Ademola Adeleke

States

Zamfara Accord Party governorship candidate hails Adeleke

Zamfara Accord Party governorship flag bearer Musa Yusuf-Garba felicitated Governor Ademola Adeleke on his re-election in the August 15 Osun election.

Sani Takori, VinMartin Ilo and Steve Nwosu

States

NDC national leader Seriake Dickson appoints  media, political, technical advisers

NDC leader Seriake Dickson has appointed Sani Takori, VinMartin Ilo and Steve Nwosu as political adviser, chief technical adviser and spokesman, respectively.