Six suspected IPOB members killed during attack on Eze’s palace: Police

Imo Police Command has confirmed the killing of six suspected members of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) that attempted to attack a traditional ruler’s palace.
The command’s Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Mike Abattam, confirmed the incident in a statement issued in Owerri and made available to journalists on Monday.
Mr Abattam said the IPOB members were intercepted and killed while on their way to attack the palace of the Chairman of the Council of Traditional Rulers in the state.
The PPRO further stated that the operatives recovered a Toyota Hilux van and one pump action from the bandits.
“On May 16, at about 0800 hours at Orlu, hoodlums suspected to be members of the proscribed IPOB and its affiliate, Eastern Security Network (ESN), were sighted in their numbers in three Hilux vehicles, shooting sporadically.
“They fiercely advanced towards the Palace of Imo Chairman Council of Traditional Rulers, Dr E. Okeke to unleash terror therein.
“Upon receiving the information, the command’s tactical team, joined by the military, immediately mobilised and rushed to the palace.
“The hoodlums on sighting the combined team engaged it in a gun duel, throwing petrol bombs. The gallant team responded and positioned themselves professionally.
“In the exchange of gunfire that ensued, the hoodlums were overwhelmed due to the superior fire-power of the combined team. In the process, six of the hoodlums were neutralised.
“The team did not relent in their effort, they chased the hoodlums and recovered one pump action gun, three blood-stained machetes and three Hilux vans, suspected to have been snatched from innocent citizens,” Mr Abattam stated.
He, however, added that calm had been restored in the area, while the corpses of the bandits had been removed and deposited in the mortuary.
He explained that no operative was killed but that a police vehicle got burnt from the fire that ignited from the petrol bomb.
“Meanwhile, efforts are in top gear to arrest other fleeing hoodlums,” the PPRO added. According to him, security in Orlu and its environs has been beefed up to forestall any further attacks in the area.
(NAN)
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Lagos
Lagos police nab six over viral video of miscreants harassing motorists
Ms Adebisi said the command was already aware of the activities of the miscreants.

Heading 3
NYSC DG urges corps members to remain politically neutral, obey scheme rules
According to him, adherence to the core values of the scheme remains non-negotiable.

States
ADC cautions Jigawa government against unregulated mining
He warned that inadequate mining regulations could provide opportunities for bandits.

States
Enugu receives $125,000 U.S. grant for preservation of Lejja Iron-Smelting site
Mr Hudspeth said the grant is aimed at transforming and providing digital documentation of the site.

States
Tinubu urges Adeleke to promote unity, reconciliation in Osun
The president urged Mr Adeleke to focus on governance and improving the welfare of Osun residents.

Abuja
Mahmoud calls on churches, mosques to promote peace ahead of 2027 elections
Ms Mahmoud urged citizens to continue supporting and praying for Mr Tinubu.






