Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Spanish court bars UEFA, FIFA from blocking breakaway Super League

FIFA President Gianni Infantino on Monday, however, said the breakaway clubs would have to face consequences of their action.

• April 20, 2021
Super League
Super League [Photo credit: Sky Sports]

A commercial court in Madrid has barred football governing bodies FIFA and UEFA from blocking the launch of the newly formed European Super League.

This follows plans by the football governing bodies to sanction the 12 clubs that had signed up as members of the breakaway league.

However, Independent UK reports that the commercial court on Tuesday ruled that neither FIFA nor UEFA or any other associated football body could take “any measure that prohibits, restricts, limits or conditions in any way the launch of the league until the court has fully considered the case.”

The competition which is hoped to rival the  UEFA Champions League has largely been criticised by football governing bodies at different level.

Already, the Premier League had revealed its intention to sanction the six English teams that signed up for the breakaway league.

Also Oliver Dowden, UK sports minister, on Monday said Britain will do everything possible to put a stop to the newly formed European Super League.

“We are examining every option from governance reform to competition law and mechanisms that allow football to take place. Put simply, we will be reviewing everything the government does to support these clubs to play,” he said.

Peoples Gazette had earlier reported that UEFA President Aleksander Ceferin has registered his opposition to the Super League. FIFA President Gianni Infantino on Monday also said the breakaway clubs would have to face consequences of their action as they would not be allowed to operate their league within the established football ecosystem.

FIFA had in January said that a breakaway league would not be recognised and that “any club or player involved in such a competition would as a consequence not be allowed to participate in any competition organised by FIFA or their respective confederation.”

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

President Bola Tinubu

NationWide

Tinubu pledges peaceful campaign ahead of 2027 elections

“Let us remember that elections are not a do-or-die affair. We are partners in the project of nation-building,” he said.

Lagos Commissioner for Environment and Water Resources, Tokunbo Wahab

Lagos

Lagos warns car-spotters against obstructing roads, constituting nuisance

The Commissioner for Environment, Tokunbo Wahab, said car-spotting breaches motorists’ privacy and urged them to carry out their activity in car lots.

recover two motorcycles

States

Police arrest five suspects in Benue, recover two motorcycles

The Benue State police command arrested five suspects who specialised in stealing motorcycles and motor vehicles.

Ateneo de Zamboanga University’s Junior High School

World

One dead, others injured in livestreamed Philippines school shooting

The student killed a male tenth-grader before taking his own life while livestreaming the attack with a body camera.

ICE officials

World

Over 5,000 Ethiopians face deportation after U.S. court ruling

A federal judge ruled to end Temporary Protected Status (TPS), which allows Ethiopians to live and work in the U.S.

University of Lagos

Education

UNILAG extends deadline for UTME candidates to upload results after portal glitch

The deadline, initially set for Wednesday, has been moved to August 24, 2026.