Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Special counsel seeks dismissal of Trump election case

Special counsel Jack Smith has formally requested the dismissal of the federal indictment against President-elect Donald Trump, which accused him of attempting to overturn the results of the 2020 election

• November 25, 2024
President Donald Trump
President Donald Trump

Special counsel Jack Smith has formally requested the dismissal of the federal indictment against President-elect Donald Trump, which accused him of attempting to overturn the results of the 2020 election.

The move, made in a Washington court filing on Monday, reflects the Justice Department’s policy that sitting presidents cannot face prosecution.

In his filing, Mr Smith acknowledged that the two-year legal battle against Mr Trump must now end as the president-elect prepares to take office in January.

He noted that the department’s long-standing interpretation of the Constitution prohibits criminal proceedings against a sitting president, regardless of the severity of the allegations.

“This policy is categorical and does not turn on the gravity of the crimes charged, the strength of the government’s proof, or the merits of the prosecution,” Mr Smith wrote.

The decision effectively halts efforts to hold Mr Trump accountable for what prosecutors had described as a wide-ranging scheme to subvert the democratic process.

However, the dismissal is “without prejudice,” leaving open the possibility that charges could be refiled after Mr Trump leaves office.

The indictment, brought in August 2023, was one of several legal challenges Mr Trump has faced during his political career.

It alleged that he orchestrated a plot to remain in power despite his 2020 election loss, including pressuring officials to reject electoral votes and promoting baseless claims of voter fraud.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

University of Lagos

Education

UNILAG extends deadline for UTME candidates to upload results after portal glitch

The deadline, initially set for Wednesday, has been moved to August 24, 2026.

State Marco Rubio, Tomoko Akane

Heading 5

Trump govt sanctions ICC president Tomoko Akane, senior lawyer

The U.S. government imposed sanctions on ICC president Tomoko Akane over what it described as the tribunal’s “corrupt and fatally politicised” activities.

Imran Khan

Heading 2

Pakistan Supreme Court orders jailed ex-PM Imran Khan moved to hospital

The court also ruled that the former prime minister would be allowed to meet with his family weekly, including telephone calls with his sons.

Image used to illustrate the story

States

Lagos APC targets three million votes for Tinubu in 2027

Mr Ojelabi said the party’s performance in the 2023 presidential election was disappointing, and urged members to use the 2027 election to redeem its image.

Remi Tinubu

States

Remi Tinubu inaugurates national community food bank for South-West

She said the programme is a deliberate, sustainable response to food insecurity and malnutrition among vulnerable households nationwide.

Bola Tinubu in a jolly mood with Wike.

States

I would have delivered Osun to Tinubu even if people voted against APC: Wike

Mr Wike insisted the outcome of the election would have been different if he had been on the federal government team that went to Osun State.