Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Strike: Dangote, NUPENG talks deadlocked

A meeting convened by the federal government to resolve NUPENG’s strike against alleged Dangote Refinery’s anti-union practices ended in a stalemate at dawn.

• September 9, 2025
Dangote and NUPENG logos
Dangote and NUPENG logos

A meeting convened by the federal government to resolve NUPENG’s strike against alleged Dangote Refinery’s anti-union practices ended in a stalemate at dawn.

The government, through the Ministry of Labour and Employment, had convened an emergency meeting in an effort to avert the planned industrial action scheduled for Monday in Abuja.

The meeting was also aimed at addressing allegations of anti-union practices against the Dangote Refinery. Labour minister Muhammad Dingyadi, who presided over the meeting, told journalists that progress was slow.

“We have not been able to reach a final agreement on this matter. Negotiations will continue. Maybe by tomorrow, we will resolve the issues. I appeal to everyone to maintain peace as discussions continue,” he said.

The minister, therefore, assured all that the government is still committed to finding common ground for all parties.

Benson Upah, acting general secretary of the Nigeria Labour Congress, alleged that Dangote’s delegation was deliberately sabotaging the process.

“The representative of the Dangote Refinery walked out on the honourable minister and organised Labour. So, there was no agreement. Even when we bent backwards to accommodate his uncompromising behaviour, he still did what he did. So, we are left with no choice but to do the needful. The action continues,” Mr Upah said.

He added that the labour movement remained open to dialogue, but could not negotiate alone.

“It takes more than one party to reach a resolution. Whenever the Dangote Refinery sees the need for genuine dialogue, we are ready, even this night, if they return,” he said.

NUPENG president Williams Akporeha accused Dangote Refinery of seeking to suppress workers’ rights while expanding its monopoly in Nigeria’s energy sector. According to him, NUPENG’s action on the matter is in the interest of Nigerians.

“We cannot stand an investor whose main purpose is to enslave Nigerians. Dangote cannot take us back to the dark days of slavery,” he added.

He stated that the refinery denied employees the right to unionise.

“Nigerians have wished him well. He should not enslave them. He wants to monopolise the entire system and even the workers. This, we say no to,” he said. 

(NAN)

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Kevin Lamour with Infantino

Sport

FIFA sacks chief operating officer after criticising Infantino’s investment plan

Mr Lamour’s dismissal was confirmed by a FIFA spokesperson, who said the COO would be relieved of his responsibilities effective Monday.

Oyebamiji, Disu, Adeleke

States

Oyebamiji begs Adeleke, IGP Disu to stop post-election violent attacks on APC members

“I wish to alert the state government and security agents to the growing trend of hostility and violence against our members and supporters,” Mr Oyebamiji said on Tuesday.

Ronaldo with family

Hot news Home top

‘This is probably my last year of football,’ says Ronaldo

“This is probably my last year of football, and I want to leave a spectacular legacy,” said Ronaldo.

Governor Alex Otti congratulated former military dictator Ibrahim Babangida

Politics

Former military dictator IBB ‘father of Abia state’, says Otti

Governor Alex Otti congratulated former military dictator Ibrahim Babangida on his 85th birthday, describing him as the ‘Father of Abia state’.

President Donald Trump

Economy

Iran War: Trump threatens to bomb Oman over Strait of Hormuz

President Donald Trump threatened to bomb Oman in the Middle East if it “gets in the way” of its deal between the United States and Iran over the Strait of Hormuz.

Thousands at jason ardy vigil

World

Thousands keep vigil to mourn Jason Arday

Thousands of people gathered on Monday at a vigil in Trafalgar Square for Jason Arday, a 41-year-old Cambridge University professor who died amid allegations of plagiarism.