Sudan army calls on ex-soldiers to re-enlist as sporadic fighting persists
Sudan’s army on Friday called for reservists and retired soldiers to re-enlist amid a deadly conflict with a rival paramilitary and asked the United Nations to change its envoy to the country.
The call to former soldiers to present themselves at their nearest military base was to strengthen the army in its battle with the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) paramilitary but may add fuel to the conflict days into a truce.
Sporadic fighting has continued all week, though the ceasefire monitors Saudi Arabia and the United States said earlier on Friday that compliance was improving. Still, the army moves may indicate it is gearing up for a long conflict.
An army spokesperson said enlistment would be voluntary. Sudan’s existing armed forces law states, however, that retired soldiers remain as reservists eligible for compulsory re-enlistment.
That does not include those who only did Sudan’s mandatory two-year military service.
Army leader Abdel-Fatteh al-Burhan wrote to U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Friday asking him to replace his envoy Volker Perthes, sources in the Sudanese presidency said.
The sources did not give details, but Mr Perthes, appointed in 2021, had pushed a political transition to civilian rule that some in the army opposed.
“The Secretary-General is shocked by the letter,” U.N. spokesperson Stephane Dujarric said on Friday. “The Secretary-General is proud of the work done by Volker Perthes and reaffirms his full confidence in his Special Representative.”
Army sources said the military had also intercepted weapons smuggled into a Red Sea province of Sudan by a foreign country without giving details.
The army and RSF began a seven-day truce on Monday intended to allow access to aid and services after battles since mid-April that have killed hundreds and created a refugee crisis.
Despite a drop in fighting, there have still been reports throughout the week of clashes, artillery fire and air strikes.
Saudi and U.S. representatives “cautioned the parties against further violations and implored them to improve respect for the ceasefire on May 25, which they did,” it added.
Residents of Khartoum who have stayed in the city suffer from breakdowns of electricity, water, health and communication services.
Many homes, particularly in well-off areas, have been looted, along with food stores, flour mills and other essential facilities.
“It’s all part of the chaos of this war,” said Taysir Abdelrahim, who found out from abroad her home was looted.
One organisation helping children with cancer said a guesthouse it operates had been raided, including its safe and patients’ rooms.
The RSF has denied looting, blaming people who have stolen its uniforms.
Some 1.3 million people have fled their homes, either across borders or within the vast nation.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”
Gov. Alia freezes all Benue govt. bank accounts
He promised to work closely with security agencies and the federal government to ensure the safety of the lives and property of Benue people.
Bauchi govt. to recruit 20,000 youths as vigilantes
He explained that the security agency would stabilise the substantially-effective security infrastructure already existing at the local government levels.
Queues at Lagos, Abuja filling stations after Tinubu announces subsidy removal
According to him, Mr Tinubu’s move would cause marketers to hoard the commodity, resulting in unneeded fuel scarcity.
Zamfara governor unveils plan on curbing banditry, kidnapping
Mr Lawandare promised to support security agencies in the state with the necessary equipment to enhance their operations in combating crime.
Gov. Mbah assumes office, signs three executive orders
This order, he said, demanded that we manage the people’s money in their best interest and hold him and members of his team accountable for the funds.
Oil, gas stakeholders laud removal of fuel subsidy
Mr Osatuyi said the removal would bring about competition among players and address the monopoly issue.