Sudan War: Six thousand people flee to Ethiopia
More than 6,000 people have entered Ethiopia, fleeing fighting in neighbouring Sudan, according to local officials.
In a statement, the West Gondar zone communication office in Ethiopia’s northern region of Amhara said the fleeing people are from 42 different countries, including 941 Ethiopian nationals who were previously living in Sudan.
The statement said the number of fleeing people in the zone is only up to last Friday, with plans already underway to designate a specific refugee accommodation site if the crisis continues to expand.
The statement added that the local officials were working with the International Organisation for Migration and the Ethiopian Red Cross Society to help with the refugees’ health, transportation, nutritional, and water needs.
Stephane Dujarric, the chief spokesman for United Nations secretary general Antonio Guterres, said at least 73,000 people had fled ongoing fighting in Sudan to neighbouring countries.
Brutal fighting erupted in the Sudanese capital of Khartoum on April 15 and swiftly escalated in different parts of the country.
The ongoing fighting is pitting the Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF) against the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) paramilitary group.
Both sides have accused each other of initiating the conflict.
The death toll from the clashes between the SAF and the RSF has risen to more than 500, with thousands more injured, according to Sudan’s Ministry of Health.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”
Nigerians, other Africans elect thieves but want them to act like Jesus not Barabbas: Patrick Lumumba
“Africa, for some reason, is attracted to men and women who can’t serve and when they are not served they complain.”
The players were absent from the team that demolished Sao Tome and Principe in last month’s 2023 AFCON qualifier in Uyo.
She solicited the support of the traditional rulers to enable the present administration to actualise its dream of transforming the state into an enviable new Niger state.
“We look forward to a successful deliberation of the labour unions today and a definite call off of the planned nationwide strike,” he said.