Tinubu asks Supreme Court to discard CSU deposition because it was conducted by U.S. lawyers, not court officers

President Bola Tinubu has asked the Supreme Court to throw out the forgery evidence tendered by his rival, Atiku Abubakar, on the grounds that the deposition of Caleb Westberg, registrar of the Chicago State University (CSU), was conducted by U.S. attorneys rather than certified judicial officers.
Mr Tinubu, on October 12, filed a counter affidavit to defend himself from Mr Abubakar’s petitions seeking an annulment of his election victory at the top court. In it, he implied the content of the deposition could not be trusted.
“I know as a fact that neither Gwendolyn Bedford nor any other person present at the deposition is a judicial officer,” asserted the Nigerian leader in a calculated move to discredit Mr Westberg’s testimony given in front of all the respondents’ attorneys on October 3.
Mr Tinubu further tainted the deposition by implying that it was not held in a neutral setting because Dechert LLP, the legal firm representing Mr Abubakar, selected their West Wacker office as the venue.
“DECHERT LLP referenced as the venue of the deposition, is the law office where Angela Liu, Esq., counsel to the 1st appellant herein, serves as partner,” the president wrote the Supreme Court at 4:42 p.m. on October 12.
It was unclear, though, whether Mr Tinubu’s legal team — Charles Carmichael and Oluwole Afolabi— objected to the venue prior to the October 3 deposition or if they consented to go to Mr Abubakar’s preferred location.
However, Mr Tinubu seems ready to exploit the West Wacker location as a legal loophole to prevent the Supreme Court from admitting the deposition as proof of his forgery.
As the legal showdown for Nigeria’s presidency draws near, Mr Tinubu has unsheathed his own sword, levelling serious allegations of identity fraud and forgery against his main opponent in the February elections.
He has challenged Mr Abubakar to explain why he bore “Atiku Kojoli” on his primary school certificate and “Siddiq Abubakar” on his 1965 West African Senior School Certificate (WASSCE).
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

NationWide
EPL: GOtv, DStv subscribers decry activation delay
One of the subscribers, Abuja Streets (@abujastreets) wrote on X on Friday that the EPL resumed but subscribers were stranded.

World
Carney vows retaliation as Trump govt slams fresh 50% tariffs on Canadian goods
Mr Trump set a deadline for negotiations, but negotiators said they had yet to reach an agreement.

States
Terrorists storm Niger mosque during prayers, abduct worshippers
The police said security operatives had been deployed to the area for assessment and rescue operations.

Heading 2
2027: Ex-Zamfara governor Yari named APC campaign DG for Tinubu’s re-election
Muiz Banire will head the Legal Directorate, with Dr Liman Hassan and Babatunde Ogala as deputies.

Hot news Home top
Photo, details of Nwabueze Buchi George, coordinator of fresh fake agency ICPC uncovered in Tinubu’s govt
The Peoples Gazette’s check for Mr Nwabueze’s digital footprint showed he runs social media accounts and a website: Made in Nigeria.

States
Taraba govt unveils action plan to tackle climate change
Mr Kefas urged the federal government, the national council on climate change and other stakeholders to work with the state to implement the policy and action plan.






