Monday, August 17, 2026

Tinubu should not have allowed Trump break news of strikes on Nigerian terrorists: PDP

PDP said the Nigerian government should have been the original disseminator of the military action to adequately sensitise Nigerians.

• December 26, 2025
Bola Tinubu, PDP logo
Bola Tinubu, PDP logo

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has faulted the Bola Tinubu-led government for failing to announce the U.S. military strikes in Nigeria before the American authorities did.

In a statement on Friday by its national publicity secretary, Ini Ememobong, the PDP stated that the government should have communicated the operation in Sokoto State rather than confirming what the U.S. government announced.

“The federal government should have been the first to report the news in order to properly sensitise the Nigerian populace, instead of waiting to confirm news already in public circulation, unless they were taken unawares like the rest of the citizens,” the statement noted.

U.S. President Donald Trump on Thursday announced on his social media pages that the American military carried out a series of air strikes against terrorist targets in the North-Western state. Hours after, the Nigerian Ministry of Foreign Affairs issued a statement confirming the operation.

The PDP noted that it supported the operation but expressed concern about the federal government’s failure to first communicate it to Nigerians to sensitise them.

It stated, “While international cooperation in the fight against high crimes like terrorism is very much appreciated, the Peoples Democratic Party is deeply concerned about a communication structure where foreign powers break the news of security operations in our country before our government does.

“This inverted communication approach does not help the federal government or Nigerians in any way, especially when taken against the background that the U.S. military has been reported to have previously entered and operated in Nigeria successfully without the permission and knowledge of the government.”

The party called on Mr Tinubu to ensure that the defence agreement with the United States of America towards eliminating terrorism is hinged on joint operations.

Warning against reliance on external-led precision attacks, the party urged the Nigerian authorities to engage in joint collaborations for knowledge sharing and experiential learning to help Nigeria sustainably combat insecurity.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

NDLEA

States

NDLEA destroys over 4,600kg of cannabis in Edo, nabs 10

Mr Ofoyeju said that the operations were carried out at Ugboku, Igbanke Forest.

Godknows Igali (PANDEF chairman)

NationWide

PANDEF seeks devolution of powers, stronger fiscal federalism

Mr Igali said restructuring is not about breaking up Nigeria, but strengthening Nigeria.

Nigerian Society of Engineers

States

NSE calls for engineering innovation to tackle Nigeria’s security challenges

The chairman urged young engineers to embrace continuous professional development.

States

Ex-lawmaker decries attacks on APC chieftain Igbokwe’s Anambra residence

He described the vandalisation of Mr Igbokwe’s residence as unacceptable.

NDLEA

Lagos

NDLEA destroys N301 billion worth of cocaine, others in Lagos

The drugs were destroyed on Monday following a court order.

Court room used to illustrate the story

States

Police arraign man for alleged N1.8 million motorcycle theft

The prosecutor said the defendant and one other suspect, still at large, committed the offence on August 7 in Ado-Ekiti.